Skip to main content

Many feared killed in fresh Tiv/Jukun crisis

                                   Nigerian Police officers used to illustrate the story
Many were feared killed on Saturday in a fresh crisis between Jukun and Tiv tribes in Wukari, south of Taraba State.
Fleeing residents said many houses were razed and several people injured in the clashes.
The conflict has affected some villages belonging to both tribes along Wukari Kwatan Sule, Chonku and border communities of Jootar and Vaase.
Trading blames
A Jukun community leader, Bako Benjamin, said despite the peace accord reached last week between the two warring communities, “Tiv ethnic militias have continued to launch pockets of attacks on our communities.”
“Just this morning in the wee hours, they struck at Chonku firing sporadically and razed down houses. They attacked four of our communities in the last three days and as I am talking to you, corpses of 15 people killed by Tiv militias have been deposited in Wukari and we have compiled their names.”
However, Orbee Uchiv, a Tiv spokesman, denied this.
“Our people are being attacked by Jukun ethnic militias in recent times. A peace meeting at Jootar, a border town between Benue and Taraba States convened by one Rev Father Dankaro and other priests to sue for peace was truncated.
‘’Thursday morning, Vaase, a border town was attacked by Jukuns. More than 12 people were killed. Probably on reprisal this morning, Chonku, a border Jukun settlement, was attacked.
“As I am talking to you now, looting, arson and killing within and around villages of Tiv people is going on and hundreds of Tivs have fled to Benue state,’’ he said.
It was gathered that the misunderstanding was due to a long standing dispute between the two ethnic groups and it centered on cultural heritage.
The chairman of Wukari local government area, Daniel Adi, confirmed the outbreak of crisis in the area.
He also said many were feared killed and houses burnt in the last five days of fighting.
“I have since reached out to the Chairman of Ukum local government in neighbouring Benue and the Security Adviser to the Benue Governor and we are making efforts to stop the escalation of the crisis,” he said.
Reports also indicate that commercial activities have come to a halt at the popular Wukari Yam Market as shops were looted.
Meanwhile, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, David Misal, said security operatives “were on the top of the situation”.
“Security operatives have been deployed in the affected areas, though I am yet to confirm casualty figures in the latest attacks,” he told PREMIUM TIMES on Saturday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horror as a whistle blower uncovers horrific abuse Chinese company in Aba allegedly subject their Nigerian staff to

                                     A whistleblower has exposed the horrific abuse and discrimination he allegedly uncovered in a Chinese company operating in Nigeria.   The Twitter user said the company located in at Umuahala, Obuzor Asa, in Ukwa West LGA of Abia State, is managed by Chinese while most of their workers are Nigerians.     However, he said the Nigerian staff are made to work under the most "dehumanizing conditions ever known to mankind".   He reported that every Nigerian staff is expected to call every Chinese staff "Master or Mistress".   He added that "male Nigerian workers are physically assaulted, while their female counterparts are sexually assaulted without any consequence."   When a Nigerian staff errs, the Chinese staff allegedly employ the services of Nigerian soldiers to discipline them mercilessly.    ...

Lagos peaks again as Nigeria records 329 more Coronavirus cases

                                Nigeria recorded 329 more cases of Coronavirus on Friday, with Lagos topping the chat with 113 new infections. With the figures, Nigeria’s total confirmed Coronavirus cases is put at 48,445. Though, the fresh cases recorded by the nation is still on the lower side when compared with the 373 cases raked in on Thursday, the rise in infections in Lagos greatly boosted the new figures. Lagos’ 113 new cases is almost twice the 69 cases it recorded on Thursday. The 329 new cases were recorded in 21 states in the nation. Kaduna came a distant second with 49 cases, with FCT following with 33 cases; Plateau, 24 cases; Kano, 16 cases; Edo, 15 cases; Ogun, 14 cases; Delta, 13 cases and Osun, 10 cases. Others are: Oyo-8, Ekiti-6, Bayelsa-6, Akwa Ibom-5, Borno-4, Enugu-4, Ebonyi-3, Rivers-2, Bauchi-1, Nasarawa-1, Gombe-1 and Niger-1. Nine deaths were recorded on Thursday to take total numb...

SARS officers allegedly chase three suspected internet fraudsters to their death

  Young men in Osogbo, Osun state took to the streets to protest after three suspected internet fraudsters were allegedly chased to their death by SARS officers today September 15 According to eyewitnesses, the young men were riding in their car when the SARS officers attempted to stop them. They refused to stop and the SARS officers engaged them in a hot chase. The driver of the car veered off the road and hit an electric pole. While one of the occupants in the car died on the spot, two others died later. Aggrieved youths in the area dumped one of the corpses in front of Osun Government House, Oke Fia, and destroyed a motorcycle. Also, the protesters, who were mostly youths, also targeted police operatives and attacked many bystanders around Oke Fia, Alekuwodo, and Ilobu road.   The spokesperson of the state police command is yet to comment on the incident.