Skip to main content

Another high school shooting: Student killed in "accidental" shooting in Huffman High School

                                Another high school shooting: Student killed in "accidental" shooting in Huffman High School 
A Huffman High School senior has been killed and another injured after gunfire erupted in a classroom at the east Birmingham school on Wednesday afternoon, and police are calling it an "accidental" shooting.

On March 7, 17-year-old Courtlin Arrington was shot dead by a 17-year-old boy in her school by mistake. He then also mistakenly shot himself in the leg. According to the Atlanta-Journal-Constitution, the boy was "showing off a gun" to girls in the school just as school was about to dismiss for the day, and it accidentally discharged, killing Courtlin.

Police say the boy then put the gun he had just fired into his waistband and accidentally shot himself in the leg. 

Arrington and the boy who is a junior and member of the football team were both rushed to UAB Hospital in separate Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service trucks. Arrington was given CPR at the scene and en route to the hospital, but the efforts to revive her failed. The boy was not seriously injured and hospital officials say he was already discharged from the hospital before 7:30 p.m.

Another high school shooting: Student killed in "accidental" shooting in Huffman High School

The boy, whose name has not been released to protect his identity, was later questioned at police headquarters. Birmingham Police Chief Orlando Wilson said in a press conference that the shooting had been ruled accidental. He said that the cause of the shooting was unknown and that a person of interest had been taken into police custody.
However, there are people who do not believe that the shooting was accidental and they are asking questions, like how could the boy attempt to put a just fired gun which will most likely be very hot into his waistband.
Arrington would have turned 18 in a month. She was going to graduate in May, had already been accepted into college, and had dreams to become a nurse.
Another high school shooting: Student killed in "accidental" shooting in Huffman High School

"We're not just talking about some person, we're talking about losing a part of our future,'' said Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin. "Our hearts are heavy."

Another high school shooting: Student killed in "accidental" shooting in Huffman High School
One of her last posts before she was killed 

As a result of the shooting, School officials announced late Wednesday night that school will be closed on Thursday. The delay will provide an opportunity for the system to conduct a thorough safety sweep of the school, and also allow the system to collaborate with organizations in the community to provide counseling support to both students and staff, said Superintendent Lisa Herring

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Police confirms 5 dead, several injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militias

                                  Atleast 5 people were killed and several others injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militia in Sardauna Local Government Area of Taraba State on Saturday. The spokesman for the Taraba State Police Command, ASP David Misal, who confirmed the incident said the crisis started on Thursday over a land dispute between Fulani and Mambilla in Yerimaru village and later snowballed into neighbouring villages. Misal said that units of mobile policemen and soldiers from the 20 battalion in Serti have been dispatched to the area to maintain law and order, adding that several homes were burnt down and many cows killed and stolen during the attack. A fleeing resident Saadu Mogoggo whose house was attacked at Leme suburb of Gembu, said two of his younger brothers were killed their cattle were rustled by the militia. “As I am...

My horrible encounter with Ochanya’s alleged abuser – Victim’s sister speaks (1)

Mr and Mrs Ogbanje, Ochanya's parents   Sitting on the bed in a room at Ogene-Amejo village and listening to Rose Abah, mother of the deceased rape victim, Ochanya Ogbanje; there was almost no way of telling what her next stunning revelation would be. She earlier narrated the horrible details about her daughter, Ochanya’s  death . Mrs Abah told PREMIUM TIMES that Andrew Ogbuja made several attempts to rape her other 26-year-old daughter, Esther Ameh. According to Mrs Abah, the incident happened in April, 2018, when Miss Ameh went to the Ogbuja’s to care for her 13-year-old sister who had become perennially sick, after going to live with Mrs Ogbuja who was a maternal second cousin to the siblings. “Do you know that he also tried to sleep with my late daughter’s elder sister, Esther? That one is 13 years older than Ochanya,” Ms Abah said. Pointing at Miss Ameh’s picture hung on the wall, Mrs Abah said her other daughter had gone to the Ogbuja’s to care of...

Scotland yard commander in charge of drug strategy is suspended over alleged drug misuse

                                           A Scotland Yard commander who led the force’s drug strategy and heads misconduct hearings has been suspended over allegations of drug misuse.   Commander Julian Bennett was secretly suspended last month following claims involving controlled drugs. It was reported that he was taken off duty after refusing to have a drug test following a tip-off about alleged substance abuse.    The veteran officer now faces an internal investigation by Scotland Yard’s directorate of professional standards, despite reports that part of his role in the force is acting as chairman in misconduct proceedings.   Nicknamed ‘Sacker,’ Mr. Bennett is well known for his stern rulings due to the number of officers kicked out of the force, having presided over hundreds of hearings since 2010, including some of the force’s most controversial invest...