Skip to main content

Police chiefs' anger at YouTube gangster threat videos where members boast about shootings.

Footage has emerged online of gang members openly boasting about shooting people and gang violence but police say they are finding it difficult to have the content removed.
Gangsters are threatening rivals and glorying their crimes through a string of viral videos.
An investigation revealed Birmingham gang members have been using grime music videos to issue chilling threats to each other on YouTube .
Gang members boast about shooting people in the clips 
Police chiefs say they are working to identify criminals and remove the clips but admitted it is "very rare" for them to be taken down from social media, despite repeated requests by officers. One video, posted in December, appears to make reference to a shooting and a separate stabbingin the city, the Birmingham Mail reports.
Viral videos in which gangsters are making chilling threats have been posted to YouTube

And earlier this year sickening footage emerged of Burger Bar gang members openly boasting about shooting people and mocking rivals the Johnson Crew.
The footage emerged during the trial of gangster Reial Phillips - and even helped to convict him of taking part in a turf war which saw eight people shot.
Phillips was jailed for 27 years by a judge who said he had “gloried in the shootings” on the videos he had posted online to “ramp up tension between the two gangs.”
The expletive-filled footage shows the 20-year-old openly bragging about shooting a 16-year-old in the back, talking openly about committing crimes and making shooting motions towards the camera.
Crime Board member Waheed Saleem had earlier asked senior officers what the force was doing to take down videos that are posted on social media to glorify violence in the West Midlands.
Assistant Chief Constable Alex Murray said the force was working hard to remove videos and identify offenders as quickly as possible.
He said a number of people had been arrested in connection with videos from alleged gang members in south Birmingham, which had attracted some 50,000 hits online.
However, he said many requests made by police to remove had been ignored by big internet companies.
He added: “We do try and get these videos taken down and I want to provide reassurance that we will take action when we have videos of people brandishing knives when police are driving past.
“Whenever we identify a video where an offence has taken place, or it glorifies violence, we will be arresting them and hopefully bringing them to justice.
“It’s worth saying that we rely on intelligence and when people have seen videos we will investigate it. Often when videos have not breached the law we will refer them to companies like YouTube for breaching their terms of service.
"That is something the Commissioner might be able to take forward for us, because I know we make a lot of referrals in the West Midlands and it’s very rare that any videos are taken down when we have made those referrals.”
ACC Murray said officers were currently doing a lot of work in south Birmingham, particularly with schools, to divert young people away from gangs.
Commissioner David Jamieson said: “We really need to do more to take down these videos.
“It’s reassuring to hear that people who use social media to torment rivals and those who advocate violence are pursued.
"I take very much your point that social media companies need to do a lot more to remove these videos, particularly those that advocate violence.
“It is something that we will take up with the new government.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Police confirms 5 dead, several injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militias

                                  Atleast 5 people were killed and several others injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militia in Sardauna Local Government Area of Taraba State on Saturday. The spokesman for the Taraba State Police Command, ASP David Misal, who confirmed the incident said the crisis started on Thursday over a land dispute between Fulani and Mambilla in Yerimaru village and later snowballed into neighbouring villages. Misal said that units of mobile policemen and soldiers from the 20 battalion in Serti have been dispatched to the area to maintain law and order, adding that several homes were burnt down and many cows killed and stolen during the attack. A fleeing resident Saadu Mogoggo whose house was attacked at Leme suburb of Gembu, said two of his younger brothers were killed their cattle were rustled by the militia. “As I am...

My horrible encounter with Ochanya’s alleged abuser – Victim’s sister speaks (1)

Mr and Mrs Ogbanje, Ochanya's parents   Sitting on the bed in a room at Ogene-Amejo village and listening to Rose Abah, mother of the deceased rape victim, Ochanya Ogbanje; there was almost no way of telling what her next stunning revelation would be. She earlier narrated the horrible details about her daughter, Ochanya’s  death . Mrs Abah told PREMIUM TIMES that Andrew Ogbuja made several attempts to rape her other 26-year-old daughter, Esther Ameh. According to Mrs Abah, the incident happened in April, 2018, when Miss Ameh went to the Ogbuja’s to care for her 13-year-old sister who had become perennially sick, after going to live with Mrs Ogbuja who was a maternal second cousin to the siblings. “Do you know that he also tried to sleep with my late daughter’s elder sister, Esther? That one is 13 years older than Ochanya,” Ms Abah said. Pointing at Miss Ameh’s picture hung on the wall, Mrs Abah said her other daughter had gone to the Ogbuja’s to care of...

The worst crime a family can do is marrying their scumbag son to an innocent girl in the hope he will miraculously change" Arab influencer writes

    An Arab influencer has raised a discussion about families marrying off their sons who are not responsible enough, to innocent girls.   He pointed out that it has become common and when the man's behaviour doesn't improve after marriage, the woman is blamed.   Abed Alii tweeted: "The worst crime a family can do is marrying their son, who they know is a scum bag, to an innocent girl in the hope he will miraculously change...   "My sympathies are always with the womenfolk. They leave their family and come to an absolutely new one, without any support and then get abused. I’ve heard that so many times. 'maybe she’ll change him. She will make him change his bad habits. She’s a good girl.' It’s not her job to educate your son at the risk of damaging her mental Health!  And vice versa... let’s keep it real."   He added that it goes both ways and he has seen it happen to someone he knows.   Read his tweets below.