Skip to main content

Death toll in Boko Haram attack on Maiduguri 28 — Military

                          
The Nigeria military on Monday said at least 15 persons including a soldier, were killed and about 83 others seriously injured on Sunday night during hours of battle to wade off a large number of armed suicide bombers trying to invade Maiduguri the Borno state capital.
Soldiers on guard at the outskirts of Maiduguri also gunned down six armed Boko Haram gunmen and seven suicide bombers during the attack, bringing the death toll on both sides to 29.
Residents of Maiduguri were forced to keep vigil all Sunday night following hours of thunderous explosions and shootings that rented the air till early hours of Monday.
The military said Boko Haram suicide bombers and gunmen attempted to invade Maiduguri through the outskirts of Bille-Shuwa and Alikaranti villages.
The spokesman of the military at Operation Lafiya Dole headquarters, Maiduguri, Onyema Nwachukwu, a colonel, said the attackers would have made it into more crowded areas of Maiduguri had the troops deployed along the attacked axis not repelled them.
Survivors of the attack told PREMIUM TIMES that most of those killed in the suicide attack were youth who were at a viewing centre when the suicide bombers infiltrated them as they were fleeing upon hearing gun shots between soldiers and the Boko Haram fighters.
“The gunmen came with the suicide bombers, and as they were engaged by soldiers, some of them sneaked into the confused fleeing crowd and detonated themselves killing about 15 people and over 80 others,” said Momodu Bukar, an operative of Civilian-JTF.
Mr. Nwachukwu said the attackers were on a mission to carry out major attack on Maiduguri.
“Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole deployed in the Cashew Plantation around Bille Shuwa and Alikaranti villages have quashed an attempt by Boko Haram terrorists to penetrate Maiduguri metropolis yesterday at about 8.10 pm,” he said.
“The insurgents met with stiff resistance of troops who killed 6 of the insurgents and neutralized 7 suicide bombers in the encounter. The troops also recovered 2 AK 47 rifles and 2 Magazines.
The Nigerian Police Explosive Ordnance Disposal team have detonated two IED vests recovered from the killed suicide bombers Beaten by the troops and unable to force their way into the metropolis, the insurgents retreated and callously resorted to attacking locals who, reacting to the encounter were fleeing in confusion from Bille Shuwa and Alkaranti villages with Person Borne Improvised Explosive Device.
“Sadly, 15 persons including a soldier have so far been confirmed dead in the encounter, while about 83 persons who suffered varying degrees of injuries are receiving due medical attention. Troops are still on the trail of the insurgents. More details will be communicated as further clarifications are made.
“Meanwhile, a 14 year old Boko Haram insurgent Rawa Babagana has surrendered to troops of Operation Lafiya Dole.The insurgent escaped from the Boko Haram enclave in Kekeno in the northern fringes of the Lake Chad Islands. He is currently been profiled.
“It is clear that the remnants of the Boko Haram Terrorists are hell bent on remaining relevant by attacking soft and vulnerable targets and therefore calls for collective vigilance by all security stakeholders and members of the public. Members of the general public are therefore urged to be watchful and discern strange persons and suspicious activities in their communities and report to the security agencies”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horror as a whistle blower uncovers horrific abuse Chinese company in Aba allegedly subject their Nigerian staff to

                                     A whistleblower has exposed the horrific abuse and discrimination he allegedly uncovered in a Chinese company operating in Nigeria.   The Twitter user said the company located in at Umuahala, Obuzor Asa, in Ukwa West LGA of Abia State, is managed by Chinese while most of their workers are Nigerians.     However, he said the Nigerian staff are made to work under the most "dehumanizing conditions ever known to mankind".   He reported that every Nigerian staff is expected to call every Chinese staff "Master or Mistress".   He added that "male Nigerian workers are physically assaulted, while their female counterparts are sexually assaulted without any consequence."   When a Nigerian staff errs, the Chinese staff allegedly employ the services of Nigerian soldiers to discipline them mercilessly.    ...

Straying cows cause ghastly motor accident in River

Straying cows owned by suspected Fulani herdsmen caused a ghastly accident along the Port Harcourt Airport road in Rivers state. The straying cows came out from the bush, facing sn oncoming Toyota Camry. The car got damaged when the driver tried to avoid hitting the straying cows.  A witness at the scene of the accident, Ezebunwo Ichemati, shared the experience on Facebook, wrote The Rivers State Government and House Of Assembly should as a matter of urgency propose and pass into law the Anti Open Grazing bill to save our Daughters and Sons from the carelessness of these Fulani Cattle rearers on our roads. On my way back from Etche along the Port Harcourt airport road that leads to obiri Ikwerre, I saw two cows lying lifeless on the road and also a damaged toyota camry car on same road and this caused serious traffic. I alighted from the car, got very close to the accident scene,only to discover that a Facebook friend of mine Miss Nengi was the passenge...

Abuja-based businessman beaten to death by unknown assailants in Enugu

An Abuja-based businessman was beaten to death by unknown assailants in Enugu. The deceased, Chinedu Nzegwu popularly known as Obroshoo by friends, was attacked by the assailants few days before his return to Abuja. They reportedly hit him with a stick on the head leaving him for dead. Late Nzegwu, a Pure and Industrial Chemistry graduate of the University of Port Harcourt,  is a former student of Dennis Memorial Grammar School DMGS, Onitsha, Anambra State. His friends and family members have taken to Facebook to mourn his tragic death. One of them Nwachi Viktor, wrote: "Murdered in cold blood in Enugu by fellow ndi igbo. Another young and hardworking man from Onitsha.He was my junior in Dennis Memorial Grammar school Onitsha. Trying to understand why they had to beat him to death,he was never a thief and came from a good home. Rest in peace Chinedu Nzegwu. No one is safe in Nigeria!"