Skip to main content

How £50bn of banknotes have 'gone missing': Fortune in unaccounted cash is not being used in transactions or stashed in savings, new figures reveal

 

Banknotes  worth £50billion have gone missing in circulation, according to the National Audit Office
Banknotes  worth £50billion have gone missing in circulation, according to the National Audit Office

  • Banknotes worth £50billion have gone missing in circulation, according to the National Audit Office
  •  The NAO said it could be held overseas or  in savings that haven’t been declared
  •  The report on cash comes as the use of notes and coins has fallen  over the last decade

BANKNOTES worth £50billion have gone missing in circulation, according to the public spending watchdog.

The National Audit Office said the unaccounted cash was not being used in transactions or stashed in savings.

The watchdog’s report on cash comes as the use of notes and coins has fallen sharply over the last decade.

And it warns the bodies responsible for the country’s cash system need to work better together to ensure enough coins and notes are produced and circulated more efficiently to avert a crisis.

The NAO said the missing £50billion could be held overseas, used in the ‘shadow economy’, or held in savings that haven’t been declared. 



In July 2020 the number of notes in circulation reached a record high of 4.4billion, with a monetary value of £76.5billion.

The Bank of England had estimated that 20 to 24 per cent of the value of notes in circulation were being used or held for cash transactions, with UK households holding a further 5 per cent as savings. Little is known about the remainder – worth about £50billion.

The report found there was enough cash being made to meet demand, but raised concerns over how it was being distributed.

Ten years ago, cash was used in six in ten transactions, but last year it was used in fewer than three in ten. Forecasts suggest it might be one in ten by 2028.

Covid-19 has potentially accelerated the decline. Industry data suggests market demand for notes and coins plunged 71 per cent between early March and mid-April. However, cash use appears to have been recovering as businesses have reopened.

Five public bodies – the Treasury, the Bank of England, the Royal Mint, the Financial Conduct Authority and the Payments Systems Regulator – all play a role in the cash system.

ut they lack a shared view of what was a good outcome for the consumer, the NAO said. It added that older people and those on low incomes are particularly likely to rely on cash.

In March, the Government unveiled legislation to protect access to it.

Labour MP Meg Hillier, chairman of the public accounts committee, said: ‘Too many people already have to go out of their way to get their hands on cash.’ The Treasury said: ‘We’re developing new legislation to ensure people can get hold of cash when they need it.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pupil poses in front of his "Shopping Complex" in Kano

  In photos posted on Facebook, a primary school pupil identified as Ismail Yusuf is seen posing in front of his "shopping Complex" in Rano Town, Kano State.   It was gathered that the little boy opened the small shop with money and goods contributed by well meaning Nigerians after he was spotted selling seasonings in a carton.     The young boy had expressed interest in starting a business in order to help his family.   See  more photos below...     

Man Sentenced To 1 Year Imprisonment For Breaching Official Trust

Justice A Wuse Zone 2 Magistrates’ Court, Abuja on Tuesday, sentenced a 33-year-old civil servant, Aminu Maru, to one year imprison  for breach of official trust. The convict, who resides in Janyan house, opposite Gwagwalada Park, Area 1, Abuja,however, pleaded guilty to the one count charge of breach of official trust.and begged for mercy. The Magistrate, Mr Raphael Egbe, in his judgement said the court relied on the provision of section 99 B of the penal code to sentence the convict. Egbe, who told the convict to be of good behaviour so as not to go back to crime, however, gave him an option of N100, 000. The prosecutor, Mr Jamil Hamisu, had told the court that investigations by the State Security Service (SSS) revealed that Maru committed the offence between Nov. 15 and Nov. 21, 2017. Hamisu said that the convict was an accountant attached to the office of the Accountant-General of the Federation (OAGF) but seconded to the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON)....

Graphic photo: 23-year-old man arrested in Katsina State after he slashed his girlfriend's throat for planning to marry another man

The Katsina State Police Command have arrested one Abubakar Sule, 23, over attempted murder of his girlfriend, Aisha Dikko. It was gathered that Sule had tricked Aisha, 21, into a bush at Tamawa village in the Kurfi Local Government Area of the state, allegedly slashed her throat with a knife and fled believing she was dead. Fortunately, a Good Samaritan found the victim and rushed her to the General Hospital , Kurfi, where she is currently recuperating. Confirming the incident  on Saturday , the state Commissioner of Police, Beseng Gwana, said that Sule would be charged to court soon. "The Suspect abandoned the lady in the bush thinking that she was dead but the victim was later found by a Good Samaritan and was rushed to the General Hospital, Kurfi," said Gwana. "The suspect was traced and apprehended. He confessed to have committed the crime out of jealousy, because the victim had been betrothed to another man." he added. The suspect told ne...