Skip to main content

Prosecutors to seek harsher sentence for George Floyd's killer, Derek Chauvin

Prosecutors to seek harsher sentence for George Floyd

Prosecutors are planning to seek a harsher sentence for ex-Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who is one of four charged for the murder of George Floyd. 

 

According to legal documents obtained by TMZ, Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison informed Peter Cahill, the judge in Floyd murder case he will be seeking a harsher sentence for Chauvin, for several reasons.

 

The Minnesota Attorney General says the murder was “especially heinous” because Floyd was killed in front of children. 

 

In the legal docs, Ellison noted that Floyd was in a "particularly vulnerable" state because he was handcuffed and chest down on the pavement, repeatedly telling Chauvin and the other officers he could not breathe.

 

His decision to seek a harsher sentence comes after recent bodycam footage was released showing Floyd pleading for officers to not shoot him.

 

"The more video evidence you see, the more unjustifiable George Floyd's torture and death at the hands of the police becomes," the family’s attorney Ben Crump said in the statement.

 

"Although the allegation against George was for a non-violent offense involving a $20 bill, the police officers approached him with guns drawn, simply because he was a Black man. As this video shows, he never posed any threat. The officers' contradictions continue to build. If not for the videos, the world might never have known about the wrongs committed against George Floyd."

 

Chauvin is facing up to 40 years in prison if convicted of the second-degree murder charge. His former colleagues, J. Alexander Kueng, Tou Thao, and Thomas Lane, are each charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.

 

Floyd died in Minneapolis police custody on May 25 after officer Derek Chauvin pinned him to the ground and kneeled on his neck for nearly nine minutes, ignoring his repeated cries of ‘I can’t breathe.’ 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 people die, 8 injured during a birthday party clash in Bauchi State

                        The Bauchi State police command have confirmed that three persons were killed and eight others injured in a clash that erupted at a birthday party on Sunday night in Lushi Ward in Bauchi. The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Kamal Abubakar, confirmed the incident saying that 75 suspects had been arrested in connection with the clash. He said that two houses were burnt during the incident and that the situation has been brought under control. He also said that investigation was going on to get to the root of the crisis. According to Abubakar, the crisis started following a misunderstanding among some youths at a birthday party in Kusu area of Sakani which later spread to other parts of Yelwa Ward. An eye witness said that the incident might have started when two young men fought over a young lady a...

Police foil robbery attack in Niger

Nigeria Police   Police in Niger said they had gunned down two suspected armed robbers in the Madalla area of Suleja Local Government Area of the state. The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Adamu Usman, disclosed this in Minna on Friday. Usman said on Sept. 17 at about 0220 hours, police operatives attached to ‘C’ division Madalla, in a response to a distress call, engaged some suspected armed robbers in a gun duel at New Gwarinpa via Zuma Rock, Suleja. He said that in the process, two of the gunmen sustained gunshot injuries and one of them died on the spot, while the second later died at Lucas Clinic, Madalla where he was initially taken for treatment. Items recovered from the suspects include two laptop computers and two Plasma Television sets. ”We have also arrested one Haruna Mohammed of Gauraka at Zuba with gunshot wounds and taken for medical treatment. During interrogation, the suspect confessed to being a member of the syndicate that attempted to operate at New Gwar...

Man murdered in Anambra has been identified as the Senior Special Assistant to Governor Obiano on Security

                                              The 43-year-old man murdered in Anambra state early this morning has been identified as the Senior Special Assistant to Governor Obiano on Security.   Earlier on Sunday, August 9, it was reported that the Anambra state police command arrested one person in connection with the murder of 43-year-old Azubuike Ekwegbalu, at Commissioners quarters in Awka ( Check Here ).   The Anambra State Government has now confirmed his death.   A statement signed by Don Adinuba, Commissioner for Information & Public Enlightenment, reads: "The Anambra State Government announces with great sadness the death early this morning of Mr Azubuike Ekwegbalu, Senior Special Assistant (SSA) to the State Governor on Security. The Police suspect his death may be a case of homicide."   "Mr Ekwegbalu was a thorough, quiet, unassuming, en...