Skip to main content

Football idol Ronaldinho finally released after spending five months in detention over a forged passport in Paraguay

Ronaldinho finally released after spending five months in detention over a forged passport in Paraguay


Brazilian football legend, Ronaldinho was released on Monday, August 24, by a Paraguayan judge after spending five months in detention over a forged passport.

 

Judge Gustavo Amarilla also released Ronaldinho's brother Roberto de Assis Moreira, who was held for a month in jail and another four months under house arrest for the same charge.

 

The 40-year-old former World Cup winner "is free to travel to whatever country in the world he wants but he must inform us if he changes his permanent residence" for a period of one year, the judge said.

 

"He has no restrictions except for the fulfilment of reparations for damage to society."

 

Ronaldinho finally released after spending five months in detention over a forged passport in Paraguay

 

Ronaldinho accepted the terms of his release, which include payment of $90,000 in damages. His brother, who is also Ronaldinho's business manager, must pay $110,000.

 

The judge explained that he was not issuing a "definitive dismissal" of the case but rather that Ronaldinho was benefitting from a "conditional suspension of the procedure."

 

His brother was also given a two-year suspended sentence.

 

Prosecutors believe Ronaldinho had no idea about the fake Paraguayan passports but they said de Assis Moreira was likely aware that the passports were false.

 

Before Monday's trial the public prosecutor said that Ronaldinho displayed no "personal characteristics or criminal behavior that ... would put society at risk.

 

"They flagrantly used a public document containing false content," said Marcelo Pecci, one of the public prosecutors, who said it was a "very serious" offense.

 

 

De Assis Moreira must appear before a judge in Brazil every four months for two years and will have a criminal record.

 

"Ronaldinho's situation is not the same as Roberto's. He has no obligation to appear before any Brazilian judicial authority. He must only report a change of address," said Amarilla, who accepted a recommendation by four prosecutors to avoid the need for an oral trial.

 

The former footballer and his brother were arrested in March after passports were found bearing their names with Paraguayan nationality. 

 

The pair later ended up in a Paraguay prison before they were released on house arrest after serving just 32 days behind bars.

 

18 people were also arrested in connection with the case, most of them immigration officials or police officers.

                                                        Credit-LIB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 people die, 8 injured during a birthday party clash in Bauchi State

                        The Bauchi State police command have confirmed that three persons were killed and eight others injured in a clash that erupted at a birthday party on Sunday night in Lushi Ward in Bauchi. The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Kamal Abubakar, confirmed the incident saying that 75 suspects had been arrested in connection with the clash. He said that two houses were burnt during the incident and that the situation has been brought under control. He also said that investigation was going on to get to the root of the crisis. According to Abubakar, the crisis started following a misunderstanding among some youths at a birthday party in Kusu area of Sakani which later spread to other parts of Yelwa Ward. An eye witness said that the incident might have started when two young men fought over a young lady a...

Police foil robbery attack in Niger

Nigeria Police   Police in Niger said they had gunned down two suspected armed robbers in the Madalla area of Suleja Local Government Area of the state. The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Adamu Usman, disclosed this in Minna on Friday. Usman said on Sept. 17 at about 0220 hours, police operatives attached to ‘C’ division Madalla, in a response to a distress call, engaged some suspected armed robbers in a gun duel at New Gwarinpa via Zuma Rock, Suleja. He said that in the process, two of the gunmen sustained gunshot injuries and one of them died on the spot, while the second later died at Lucas Clinic, Madalla where he was initially taken for treatment. Items recovered from the suspects include two laptop computers and two Plasma Television sets. ”We have also arrested one Haruna Mohammed of Gauraka at Zuba with gunshot wounds and taken for medical treatment. During interrogation, the suspect confessed to being a member of the syndicate that attempted to operate at New Gwar...

Man pens glowing tribute to 19-year-old UNIJOS student 4 years after she was shot dead while trying to save her father from assassins

                                 Today marks the four year death anniversary of Hammamatu Babangida Suleiman, a 19-year-old student, who was killed by suspected assassins in Plateau State, while trying to save her father.   Sen. Auwal Marshall penned this glowing tribute to late Hammamatu, fondly called Ummy. Read below:     A DAY OF MOURNING 4year Without Ummi   Hammamatu Babangida Suleiman (a.k.a Ummy) was a classical girl you would describe as a life cut short. She was a 19yrs old Remedial student with the University of Jos. A very intelligent, determined, purposeful and ambiguous younger girl who has alots of dreams and hopes for a better tomorrow. She is aspiring to study Medicine, with the hope of becoming a Medical Doctor some day.   All these wonderful vision was cu...