Skip to main content

Beirut blast was caused by welder as death toll passes 100


It has been claimed that the huge explosion in Beirut, Lebanon, that killed over 100 people and injured more than 4,000, was caused by a welder at work.

 

Close to where the welder was working, there was "highly explosive sodium nitrate" confiscated from a ship by Lebanese authorities and placed in one of the warehouses located near the harbour. The ammonium nitrate - more than 2,750 tons - had been stored in the warehouse for six years.

 

Security sources in the country have claimed the welder sparked the initial fire that in turn ignited the chemicals, causing a blast that has been compared to a "nuclear bomb".

 

Lebanon blast was caused by welder as death toll passes 100

 

The blast sent seismic shockwaves through the city on Tuesday evening, August 4, destroying buildings and shattering windows.

 

Over 100 people died in the blast and more than 4,000 sustained varying degrees of injuries.

 

Lebanon blast was caused by welder as death toll passes 100

 

Many people are feared to still be trapped under the rubble, including those trapped inside their damaged homes.

 

As at this morning, smoke was still rising from the port, where a towering grain silo was shattered. Toxic gases were been reported in the aftermath along with strange orange clouds, with the US Embassy warning any Americans in Beirut to stay inside.

 

Lebanon blast was caused by welder as death toll passes 100

 

The head of Lebanon's Red Cross said: "What we are witnessing is a huge catastrophe. There are victims and casualties everywhere." 

 

Ammonium nitrate is mainly used as a fertilizer but has also been linked to terror attacks after being used in homemade bombs.

 

General Security chief Abbas Ibrahim said it had been confiscated years earlier, reportedly from a ship.

 

Lebanon blast was caused by welder as death toll passes 100

 

Lebanese President Michel Aoun has declared a state of emergency for Beirut for two weeks - and vowed the "harshest punishments" for those responsible for causing the explosion.

 

Prime Minister Hassan Diab described the disaster as a "national catastrophe" and added that "those responsible will pay the price".

 

His wife and daughter were injured in the explosion after it damaged his residence at The Government Palace.

 

More photos below.

 

Lebanon blast was caused by welder as death toll passes 100

Lebanon blast was caused by welder as death toll passes 100

Lebanon blast was caused by welder as death toll passes 100

Lebanon blast was caused by welder as death toll passes 100


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Police confirms 5 dead, several injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militias

                                  Atleast 5 people were killed and several others injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militia in Sardauna Local Government Area of Taraba State on Saturday. The spokesman for the Taraba State Police Command, ASP David Misal, who confirmed the incident said the crisis started on Thursday over a land dispute between Fulani and Mambilla in Yerimaru village and later snowballed into neighbouring villages. Misal said that units of mobile policemen and soldiers from the 20 battalion in Serti have been dispatched to the area to maintain law and order, adding that several homes were burnt down and many cows killed and stolen during the attack. A fleeing resident Saadu Mogoggo whose house was attacked at Leme suburb of Gembu, said two of his younger brothers were killed their cattle were rustled by the militia. “As I am...

My horrible encounter with Ochanya’s alleged abuser – Victim’s sister speaks (1)

Mr and Mrs Ogbanje, Ochanya's parents   Sitting on the bed in a room at Ogene-Amejo village and listening to Rose Abah, mother of the deceased rape victim, Ochanya Ogbanje; there was almost no way of telling what her next stunning revelation would be. She earlier narrated the horrible details about her daughter, Ochanya’s  death . Mrs Abah told PREMIUM TIMES that Andrew Ogbuja made several attempts to rape her other 26-year-old daughter, Esther Ameh. According to Mrs Abah, the incident happened in April, 2018, when Miss Ameh went to the Ogbuja’s to care for her 13-year-old sister who had become perennially sick, after going to live with Mrs Ogbuja who was a maternal second cousin to the siblings. “Do you know that he also tried to sleep with my late daughter’s elder sister, Esther? That one is 13 years older than Ochanya,” Ms Abah said. Pointing at Miss Ameh’s picture hung on the wall, Mrs Abah said her other daughter had gone to the Ogbuja’s to care of...

Abuja-based businessman beaten to death by unknown assailants in Enugu

An Abuja-based businessman was beaten to death by unknown assailants in Enugu. The deceased, Chinedu Nzegwu popularly known as Obroshoo by friends, was attacked by the assailants few days before his return to Abuja. They reportedly hit him with a stick on the head leaving him for dead. Late Nzegwu, a Pure and Industrial Chemistry graduate of the University of Port Harcourt,  is a former student of Dennis Memorial Grammar School DMGS, Onitsha, Anambra State. His friends and family members have taken to Facebook to mourn his tragic death. One of them Nwachi Viktor, wrote: "Murdered in cold blood in Enugu by fellow ndi igbo. Another young and hardworking man from Onitsha.He was my junior in Dennis Memorial Grammar school Onitsha. Trying to understand why they had to beat him to death,he was never a thief and came from a good home. Rest in peace Chinedu Nzegwu. No one is safe in Nigeria!"