Skip to main content

Herders make appeal over locusts

Herders in pastoralist counties have appealed to the government to focus on countering desert locusts at the borders of Wajir, Garissa, Marsabit and Mandera to prevent further destruction.
The four counties have in the last two weeks been dealing with fresh invasions with a total of six swarms reported on Wednesday alone.
File Photo-Swarms of desert locusts fly up into the air from crops in Katitika village, Kitui county, Kenya © ASSOCIATED PRESS File Photo-Swarms of desert locusts fly up into the air from crops in Katitika village, Kitui county, Kenya The six swarms include two that continue to wreak havoc in Samburu National Reserve, threatening food security for park animals, and others in Ngorishe and Reteti.
NEW INVASIONS
Two other swarms also invaded Wajir County while another was on Wednesday evening spotted entering Isiolo South through Eldera on the county’s border with Garissa.
The swarms have invaded Isiolo, Wajir, Marsabit, Samburu, Mandera, Kitui, Embu, Machakos, Tana River, Baringo and Turkana counties.
Kinoti Lengures, a resident of Wamba in Samburu East, questioned the effectiveness of the Sh230 million aerial spraying campaign, arguing that more resources should be concentrated at the border points.
He expressed fear that their animals, which they rely on to support their families, may starve to death due to destruction of thousands acres of fodder.
MORE RESOURCES
“The government must allocate more resources and concentrate the campaign at our border points with Somalia in order to prevent fresh invasions. We fear losing our livestock if the situation is not contained soonest possible,” said Mr Lengures.
The locusts recently destroyed 900,000 acres and more than 13,000 square kilometres of pasture in Isiolo and Mandera counties respectively.

Isiolo Agriculture Chief Officer Salad Tutana told the Nation that they are battling more than 30 swarms in all the affected counties with Samburu being the worst hit as it is fighting 14 swarms with fresh invasions being reported.
Gabriel Leledu, a resident of Kipsing in Isiolo, said destruction of pasture is likely to fuel community clashes and called for immediate intervention to prevent fresh invasions.
PESTICIDES
“We appreciate the effort the government has made so far but a lot has to be done in terms of preventing fresh swarms from getting into the country,” he said.
The appeal comes at a time when the government is struggling with strained resources with some counties having run out of pesticides and planes provided by private firms reportedly lacking fuel.
Agriculture PS Hamadi Boga recently said the war on locusts is constrained by shortage of personnel, unavailability of pesticides in local markets and poor network connectivity.
Samburu Special Programmes Chief Officer Daniel Leisagor said they are monitoring locust roosting sites ahead of the expected delivery of pesticides Thursday morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man Sentenced To 1 Year Imprisonment For Breaching Official Trust

Justice A Wuse Zone 2 Magistrates’ Court, Abuja on Tuesday, sentenced a 33-year-old civil servant, Aminu Maru, to one year imprison  for breach of official trust. The convict, who resides in Janyan house, opposite Gwagwalada Park, Area 1, Abuja,however, pleaded guilty to the one count charge of breach of official trust.and begged for mercy. The Magistrate, Mr Raphael Egbe, in his judgement said the court relied on the provision of section 99 B of the penal code to sentence the convict. Egbe, who told the convict to be of good behaviour so as not to go back to crime, however, gave him an option of N100, 000. The prosecutor, Mr Jamil Hamisu, had told the court that investigations by the State Security Service (SSS) revealed that Maru committed the offence between Nov. 15 and Nov. 21, 2017. Hamisu said that the convict was an accountant attached to the office of the Accountant-General of the Federation (OAGF) but seconded to the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON)....

Again, EFCC Arrests Internet Fraudsters

                                       The Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC, has arrested three suspected internet fraudsters, at No 24, 1st Avenue, Fort Royal Estate, Airport road, Abuja. The suspects are; Marvin Nwankwo, Prince Ojenike and Jude Olatekobowale. They created a Facebook account with the following names: Rodney David; David Rodgers and Carlos David, respectively. Their arrest was based on intelligence report that the suspects turned the said residence as their office, using laptops, phone and other gadgets to defraud innocent people, including foreigners, of their hard earned money and other valuables.                           ...

FBI charges juvenile, two others over celebrity Twitter hack

                               The United States’  Federal Bureau of Investigation  (FBI) has charged three persons including a juvenile over their alleged roles in the  Twitter  security incident that resulted in a cryptocurrency scam worth thousands of dollars. On July 15, PREMIUM TIMES  (reported how)  the social media giant was infiltrated by hackers who broke into 130 accounts, including those belonging to ex-President Barack Obama, ex-Vice President Joe Biden and billionaires Bill Gates and Elon Musk. The announcement of the charge was made by United States Attorney David L. Anderson; Acting Assistant Attorney General Brian Rabbitt of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division; FBI Special Agent in Charge John L. Bennett; and some other officials. The three facing charges are Mason Sheppard, Nima Fazeli and a juvenile, whose identity was protected in pursuant to the Federa...