Skip to main content

Why EFCC failed to arraign ex-NIA DG, Oke, wife


                    
Oke
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Friday failed to arraign the sacked Director General of the National Intelligence Agency, Ambassador Ayodele Oke, and his wife, Folashade because both of them may have left the country.

The anti-graft agency had on Wednesday filed four charges against the Okes before the Federal High Court in Lagos.

They were scheduled to be arraigned on Friday before Justice C.J. Aneke in connection with the sums of $43,449,947, £27,800 and N23,218,000 (totalling N13bn) removed by the EFCC from Flat 7B Osborne Towers, Ikoyi, Lagos linked to them.
On Friday, however, the EFCC failed to produce them in court.

Punch reports that the EFCC prosecutor, Rotimi Oyedepo, who came to court without the defendants, asked the court registrars to reschedule the arraignment till Wednesday, February 6.
There had been online reports suggesting that Oke and his wife may have left the country.
When contacted on phone, the spokesman for the EFCC, Tony Orilade, said he was on his way to the office and would get back to our correspondent on the situation of things.

Orilade, however, noted that as of Wednesday, the EFCC had still not been able to get the Okes.
The charges against the Okes and the sacked Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal, filed in Abuja last week, were believed to have come as a response from the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration to allegations of selectivity in its anti-graft war.

Though a presidential probe panel headed by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, had since 2017 indicted Lawal and the Okes in its report, the Federal Government failed to act on the report, until last week when defendants were charged to court.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horror as a whistle blower uncovers horrific abuse Chinese company in Aba allegedly subject their Nigerian staff to

                                     A whistleblower has exposed the horrific abuse and discrimination he allegedly uncovered in a Chinese company operating in Nigeria.   The Twitter user said the company located in at Umuahala, Obuzor Asa, in Ukwa West LGA of Abia State, is managed by Chinese while most of their workers are Nigerians.     However, he said the Nigerian staff are made to work under the most "dehumanizing conditions ever known to mankind".   He reported that every Nigerian staff is expected to call every Chinese staff "Master or Mistress".   He added that "male Nigerian workers are physically assaulted, while their female counterparts are sexually assaulted without any consequence."   When a Nigerian staff errs, the Chinese staff allegedly employ the services of Nigerian soldiers to discipline them mercilessly.    ...

Straying cows cause ghastly motor accident in River

Straying cows owned by suspected Fulani herdsmen caused a ghastly accident along the Port Harcourt Airport road in Rivers state. The straying cows came out from the bush, facing sn oncoming Toyota Camry. The car got damaged when the driver tried to avoid hitting the straying cows.  A witness at the scene of the accident, Ezebunwo Ichemati, shared the experience on Facebook, wrote The Rivers State Government and House Of Assembly should as a matter of urgency propose and pass into law the Anti Open Grazing bill to save our Daughters and Sons from the carelessness of these Fulani Cattle rearers on our roads. On my way back from Etche along the Port Harcourt airport road that leads to obiri Ikwerre, I saw two cows lying lifeless on the road and also a damaged toyota camry car on same road and this caused serious traffic. I alighted from the car, got very close to the accident scene,only to discover that a Facebook friend of mine Miss Nengi was the passenge...

Five dead and twenty injured in mass shooting at Maryland's Capital Gazette newspaper building

Five people have been shot dead and twenty injured during a mass shooting at Maryland's Capital Gazette newsroom. Police responded at the scene within 60 seconds of the call of an active shooter at the newsroom in the 800 block of Bestgate Road, Annapolis, at around 2.40pm. Acting police chief William Kamph confirmed five people had been killed and many more had "serious injuries" in the attack. The suspect, who has not been named, has been taken into custody. Police say he was the sole shooter and that the building, which was evacuated during the attack, has now been secured. No motive has yet been given for the shooting. Phil Davis, a court and crime reporter for the Gazette, said that a lone gunman had shot through the glass door of the offices and then opened fire on the newspaper employees. "A single shooter shot multiple people at my office, some of whom are dead," he tweeted, while he said he was waiting to be interviewed by pol...