Skip to main content

We’ve resolved our problems with UNICEF – Nigerian Army

                                
Days after it accused the United Nations International Children Emergency Fund (UNICEF) of aiding terrorism in the North-east, the Nigerian Army says it has resolved its differences with the UN agency.
The army chief, Tukur Buratai, a lieutenant general, stated this on Saturday in Maiduguri.
PREMIUM TIMES reported how the army on December 14 announced that it was suspending UNICEF operations in the North-east following the accusations it made. The army did not provide any evidence for the accusations and did not state if it had presidential approval for its action. Hours later, the army announced it reversed the suspension after a meeting with UNICEF officials.
UNICEF is one of the international organisations operating in the North-eastern part of Nigeria to asssit victims of the Boko Haram insurgency.
On Saturday, Mr Buratai said the army would collaborate with United Nations agencies and other organisations to address the humanitarian crisis caused by Boko Haram insurgency in the northeast.
He gave the commitment at a dinner and media interactive session organised for editors and defence correspondents in Maiduguri.
He declared that: “I assure you that no love is lost between the UNICEF, the Nigerian Military and in particular the Nigerian Army.
“Indeed, in this operation, we will continue to cooperate with them to ensure that we carry out the necessary humanitarian aid and support for the agencies to carry out their responsibilities.
“What transpired is something that could not have happened but at times you have to take necessary steps knowing that the right result would be achieved.
“These are times not within the normal situations, these are times where some many lives were lost.
“This is a time when so many trying activities are taking place, and such times have led to (the) frustration of our efforts in various operations in the northeast.
“It is important to note that whatever we are doing, we are conscious of our international obligations as well as the need to safeguard national security.
“I am sure that the international organizations will not subscribe or allow any actions or inaction’s of certain individuals or groups to jeopardise the national security of the country they operate and this is quite fundamental.
“We understand the challenges and I am happy that the issue has been resolved, the UNICEF and other organisations were not prevented from carrying out their legitimate duties”.
Mr Buratai expressed the hope that the incident would not repeat itself, adding that the Nigerian Army had been participating in immunization and other humanitarian activities in the northeast.
According to him, the army is working in collaboration with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation; National Primary Healthcare Development Agency (NPHCDA) and other organisations on routine immunization in the northeast.
The army chief noted that the troops had been at the vanguard of providing support to the organizations in hard-to-reach areas, to enable them to conduct their services.
“The Nigerian Army has been at the forefront where the humanitarian organisations could not reach.
“Our troops, apart from fighting the Boko Haram terrorists, are also carrying out immunization of children in the northeast,” he added.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Police confirms 5 dead, several injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militias

                                  Atleast 5 people were killed and several others injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militia in Sardauna Local Government Area of Taraba State on Saturday. The spokesman for the Taraba State Police Command, ASP David Misal, who confirmed the incident said the crisis started on Thursday over a land dispute between Fulani and Mambilla in Yerimaru village and later snowballed into neighbouring villages. Misal said that units of mobile policemen and soldiers from the 20 battalion in Serti have been dispatched to the area to maintain law and order, adding that several homes were burnt down and many cows killed and stolen during the attack. A fleeing resident Saadu Mogoggo whose house was attacked at Leme suburb of Gembu, said two of his younger brothers were killed their cattle were rustled by the militia. “As I am...

My horrible encounter with Ochanya’s alleged abuser – Victim’s sister speaks (1)

Mr and Mrs Ogbanje, Ochanya's parents   Sitting on the bed in a room at Ogene-Amejo village and listening to Rose Abah, mother of the deceased rape victim, Ochanya Ogbanje; there was almost no way of telling what her next stunning revelation would be. She earlier narrated the horrible details about her daughter, Ochanya’s  death . Mrs Abah told PREMIUM TIMES that Andrew Ogbuja made several attempts to rape her other 26-year-old daughter, Esther Ameh. According to Mrs Abah, the incident happened in April, 2018, when Miss Ameh went to the Ogbuja’s to care for her 13-year-old sister who had become perennially sick, after going to live with Mrs Ogbuja who was a maternal second cousin to the siblings. “Do you know that he also tried to sleep with my late daughter’s elder sister, Esther? That one is 13 years older than Ochanya,” Ms Abah said. Pointing at Miss Ameh’s picture hung on the wall, Mrs Abah said her other daughter had gone to the Ogbuja’s to care of...

The worst crime a family can do is marrying their scumbag son to an innocent girl in the hope he will miraculously change" Arab influencer writes

    An Arab influencer has raised a discussion about families marrying off their sons who are not responsible enough, to innocent girls.   He pointed out that it has become common and when the man's behaviour doesn't improve after marriage, the woman is blamed.   Abed Alii tweeted: "The worst crime a family can do is marrying their son, who they know is a scum bag, to an innocent girl in the hope he will miraculously change...   "My sympathies are always with the womenfolk. They leave their family and come to an absolutely new one, without any support and then get abused. I’ve heard that so many times. 'maybe she’ll change him. She will make him change his bad habits. She’s a good girl.' It’s not her job to educate your son at the risk of damaging her mental Health!  And vice versa... let’s keep it real."   He added that it goes both ways and he has seen it happen to someone he knows.   Read his tweets below.