Skip to main content

$8.4 million fraud: Provide proof of source of funds, Ajudua’s lawyer tells Bamaiyi

FILE PHOTO: Former Army chief General Ishaya Bamaiyi (C) is led out of the courtroom after regaining his freedom of attempted murder charge at the Ikeja High Court in Lagos on April 3, 2008. A Lagos high court has discharged and acquitted General Bamaiyi, former Army Chief during the dictatorial regime of General Sani Abacha, who has been standing trial on four counts of attempted murder since 1999. AFP PHOTO/PIUS UTOMI EKPEI (Photo credit should read PIUS UTOMI EKPEI/AFP/Getty Images)
Former Army chief General Ishaya Bamaiyi
                                    
Olalekan Ojo (SAN) the defence counsel for Fred Ajudua, a former Lagos socialite, challenged a former Chief of Army Staff, Ishaya Bamaiyi, to provide proof of the source of the 8.4 million dollars, his client allegedly defrauded him of in 2004.

Mr Ojo, gave the challenge on Thursday at an Ikeja High Court at the resumed trial of Mr Ajudua for the alleged fraud.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Mr Ajudua, allegedly defrauded Mr Bamaiyi of $8.4million while they were both in custody in Kirikiri Prisons in 2004,
Mr Bamaiyi, a retired lieutenant general, was in custody for treason while Mr Ajudua was in custody for fraud related offences.

Mr Ajudua, alongside some accomplices, had allegedly approached Mr Bamaiyi and convinced him that he could hire the legal services of Afe Babalola (SAN) to help secure his freedom with Mr Bamaiyi giving Mr Ajudua $8.4 million as legal fees.
When the alleged fraud came to light, the law chambers of Afe Babalola and Co issued a disclaimer dissociating itself from the case.

During Thursday’s proceedings, Mr Ojo told the court that he had been re-engaged by Mr Ajudua to represent him and had requested for the Certified True Copy (CTC) of the last court proceedings held on November 26 to keep him abreast of recent happenings in the case.
He said the defence wanted Bamaiyi to provide documents showing proof of the source of the $8.4million in order to adequately cross-examine the retired General.

“After reading the records of proceedings, I discovered that several issues which necessitating us requesting the learned counsel to the prosecution to avail is certain documents related to the evidence given by the first prosecution witness (Bamaiyi).

“These include evidence of alleged sale of items of landed property the proceeds of which according to the witness, formed part of the sources of funds he claimed to have handed to the defendant.
“The other pieces of evidence relates to the alleged transactions that took place at the Kirikiri Maximum Prisons.
“There is a need to write letters to the prison for some clarifications for us to conduct a very thorough investigation,” Mr Ojo said.

The SAN said there was nowhere in the proof of evidence, where the former Chief of Army Staff had stated that he had sold some specific landed money to raise the funds he gave to Mr Ajudua.
He noted that Mr Ajudua had been granted bail by the Court of Appeal on December 10 for another fraud case he has pending before Justice Mojisola Dada of an Ikeja Special Offences Court.

“My Lord I got the CTC of the proceedings at 3 p.m on Wednesday and it was virtually impossible for me to have any discussion with the defendant.
“We are not blaming anybody for this because in other courts, the CTC of proceedings won’t be ready as quickly as this because of the volume of work,” he said.

Mr Ojo asked the court to for an adjournment to enable him file necessary documents to compel the prosecution provide documents that are not in the proof of evidence.
Seidu Atteh, the lead prosecutor for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) however opposed the defence’s request for an adjournment.

“My Lord, the evidence before this honourable court is not solely based on the sale of property, that is just one of the numerous sources stated in the evidence-in-chief of the first prosecution witness.

“We can cross-examine the witness today on other sources of the funds given to the defendant and if proof of the landed property sold is important to the defence, we will make it available to him on the next adjourned date.
“My Lord, refuse the application and in order to save judicial time, I urge My Lord to call the witness to the box,” the EFCC prosecutor said.

Acceding the request of the defence for an adjournment, Justice Josephine Oyefeso ordered the prosecution to provide the necessary documents to the defence.

“I take responsibility for the CTC of proceedings not being ready until yesterday.
“I agree with the submission of the defence counsel that prosecution should make available all the relevant documents as he has stated.

“I hereby grant an adjournment, the case is adjourned to Feb. 19, 20 and 21 2019 for continuation of trial,” Mrs Oyefeso said.
Mr Bamaiyi had while testifying on November 26, revealed the sources of the funds he allegedly lost to the scam.
He said most of the money were from friends, colleagues, relations and well-wishers who had pleaded with him not to identify them because some of them held positions in government.

“The other sources were from my farm products, I’ve been a farmer since 1984 when I was in service, I do different things on my farm, I grow cotton, soya beans and I’m also involved in animal husbandry.
“My Lord, I was posted to Lagos since 1986 and I remained in Lagos till my retirement in 1999. I was able to acquire some property, two duplexes on Sanusi Fafunwa in Victoria Island which were allocated to me by the Lagos State Government.

“I went into an agreement with HFP, a construction company who developed the two duplexes and rented it for six years and returned them to me, I sold those duplexes.

“My Lord, I bought a duplex and flat in Dolphin Estate which I also sold, I had a duplex in Tajudeen Olanrewaju Estate Yaba which I also sold, I have a plot of land at Dolphin Estate, and I also had two bungalows in Kaduna which I also sold.
“My Lord, these were the sources of the money,” Mr Bamaiyi said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lagos peaks again as Nigeria records 329 more Coronavirus cases

                                Nigeria recorded 329 more cases of Coronavirus on Friday, with Lagos topping the chat with 113 new infections. With the figures, Nigeria’s total confirmed Coronavirus cases is put at 48,445. Though, the fresh cases recorded by the nation is still on the lower side when compared with the 373 cases raked in on Thursday, the rise in infections in Lagos greatly boosted the new figures. Lagos’ 113 new cases is almost twice the 69 cases it recorded on Thursday. The 329 new cases were recorded in 21 states in the nation. Kaduna came a distant second with 49 cases, with FCT following with 33 cases; Plateau, 24 cases; Kano, 16 cases; Edo, 15 cases; Ogun, 14 cases; Delta, 13 cases and Osun, 10 cases. Others are: Oyo-8, Ekiti-6, Bayelsa-6, Akwa Ibom-5, Borno-4, Enugu-4, Ebonyi-3, Rivers-2, Bauchi-1, Nasarawa-1, Gombe-1 and Niger-1. Nine deaths were recorded on Thursday to take total numb...

SARS officers allegedly chase three suspected internet fraudsters to their death

  Young men in Osogbo, Osun state took to the streets to protest after three suspected internet fraudsters were allegedly chased to their death by SARS officers today September 15 According to eyewitnesses, the young men were riding in their car when the SARS officers attempted to stop them. They refused to stop and the SARS officers engaged them in a hot chase. The driver of the car veered off the road and hit an electric pole. While one of the occupants in the car died on the spot, two others died later. Aggrieved youths in the area dumped one of the corpses in front of Osun Government House, Oke Fia, and destroyed a motorcycle. Also, the protesters, who were mostly youths, also targeted police operatives and attacked many bystanders around Oke Fia, Alekuwodo, and Ilobu road.   The spokesperson of the state police command is yet to comment on the incident.

Ex-wife of revered South African playwright, Mbongeni Ngema accuses 'Sarafina' star Leleti Khumalo of being in an adulterous relationship with ex-husband

Xoliswa Nduneni-Ngema, the ex-wife of revered South African playwright Mbongeni Ngema has accused Sarafina protagonist Leleti Khumalo of being in an adulterous relationship with her former husband while they were married.    Nduneni who recalled how she assaulted Khumalo after discovering that she was involved in an adulterous affair with Ngema in her tell-all book titled Heart of A Strong Woman, noted that she is not proud of what she did.   Recalling what happened at that time, the playwright's ex-wife who is currently the CEO of Joburg City Theatres, said she left Joburg in 1985 and went to KwaZulu-Natal to finish her degree, leaving the Sarafina crew, including Khumalo and her husband to continue with the work of the theatrical drama in preparation for a series of overseas performances.   Leleti Khumalo   She said she was shocked when her mother warned her to be careful of Khumalo when she returned home from Durban for the Easter holidays...