Skip to main content

Buhari meets security chiefs over killings in Zamfara, Kaduna, others

PIC.1. FROM LEFT: CHIEF OF THE AIR STAFF, AIR-MARSHAL SADIQUE ABUBARKAR; CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF, GEN. ABAYOMI GABRIEL OLONISAKIN; VICE PRESIDENT YEMI OSINBAJO; PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI; CHIEF OF ARMY STAFF, LT-GEN. TUKUR BURATAI AND CHIEF OF NAVAL STAFF, VICE-ADMIRAL IBOK ETE EKWE IBAS.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday in Abuja held a closed-door meeting with security chiefs and the Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Mr Buhari, who presided over the meeting which lasted for about four hours, immediately departed for Bauchi, Bauchi state, on official engagement.
In a statement at the end of the meeting, Mr Dan-Ali said he updated the National Security Council on security situation in the country.
The minister said that he also reminded the council that the nation’s armed forces in collaboration with other security agencies were doing all they could to address the turbulent security situation across the country.
He said: “In order to forestall future security incidences in Zamfara, Sokoto and Birnin-Gwari axis Operation SHARAN DAJI has been extended to cover up to the fringes of Niger boarder.
“The operation has recently been reinforced witlh more troops from the Nigerian Armed Forces, Nigeria Police and Department of State Services and is supported by the Intelligence, Surveillance and Recognisance Wing of 207 Quick Response Group of the Nigerian Air Force.’’
Mr Dan-Ali noted that the joint operation had successfully arrested some suspected armed bandits and recovered arms and ammunition.
He announced that security agencies had been directed to checkmate the criminal activities along Abuja-Kaduna highway through increased patrols along the axis to address cases of attacks and kidnappings.
The minister also reiterated the need for the deployment of the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps in all areas liberated by the military in the North-East.
He said this had become imperative in order to consolidate on the gains of military operations as well as to enable the military push forward in its clearance operations.
Mr Dan-Ali stated that he informed the council that Operation DELTA SAFE had sustained its operations against illegal activities in the Niger Delta region with resultant reduction in illegal oil bunkering, militancy and pipeline vandalism.
The minister, however, requested for provision of more equipment for the armed forces in order to sustain the tempo in the fight against insurgency and other security challenges across the country.
Other members of the National Security Council include Chief of Defence Staff, Gabriel Olonishakin; the Chief of Army State, Tukur Buratai; Chief Air Staff, Air Vice Marshal Sadique Abubakar; and Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas.
Others are the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris; the National Security Adviser, retired Babagana Monguno; the Director General of the State Security Service, Lawal Daura ; and the Director of National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ahmed Abubakar.
(NAN)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lagos peaks again as Nigeria records 329 more Coronavirus cases

                                Nigeria recorded 329 more cases of Coronavirus on Friday, with Lagos topping the chat with 113 new infections. With the figures, Nigeria’s total confirmed Coronavirus cases is put at 48,445. Though, the fresh cases recorded by the nation is still on the lower side when compared with the 373 cases raked in on Thursday, the rise in infections in Lagos greatly boosted the new figures. Lagos’ 113 new cases is almost twice the 69 cases it recorded on Thursday. The 329 new cases were recorded in 21 states in the nation. Kaduna came a distant second with 49 cases, with FCT following with 33 cases; Plateau, 24 cases; Kano, 16 cases; Edo, 15 cases; Ogun, 14 cases; Delta, 13 cases and Osun, 10 cases. Others are: Oyo-8, Ekiti-6, Bayelsa-6, Akwa Ibom-5, Borno-4, Enugu-4, Ebonyi-3, Rivers-2, Bauchi-1, Nasarawa-1, Gombe-1 and Niger-1. Nine deaths were recorded on Thursday to take total numb...

SARS officers allegedly chase three suspected internet fraudsters to their death

  Young men in Osogbo, Osun state took to the streets to protest after three suspected internet fraudsters were allegedly chased to their death by SARS officers today September 15 According to eyewitnesses, the young men were riding in their car when the SARS officers attempted to stop them. They refused to stop and the SARS officers engaged them in a hot chase. The driver of the car veered off the road and hit an electric pole. While one of the occupants in the car died on the spot, two others died later. Aggrieved youths in the area dumped one of the corpses in front of Osun Government House, Oke Fia, and destroyed a motorcycle. Also, the protesters, who were mostly youths, also targeted police operatives and attacked many bystanders around Oke Fia, Alekuwodo, and Ilobu road.   The spokesperson of the state police command is yet to comment on the incident.

Ex-wife of revered South African playwright, Mbongeni Ngema accuses 'Sarafina' star Leleti Khumalo of being in an adulterous relationship with ex-husband

Xoliswa Nduneni-Ngema, the ex-wife of revered South African playwright Mbongeni Ngema has accused Sarafina protagonist Leleti Khumalo of being in an adulterous relationship with her former husband while they were married.    Nduneni who recalled how she assaulted Khumalo after discovering that she was involved in an adulterous affair with Ngema in her tell-all book titled Heart of A Strong Woman, noted that she is not proud of what she did.   Recalling what happened at that time, the playwright's ex-wife who is currently the CEO of Joburg City Theatres, said she left Joburg in 1985 and went to KwaZulu-Natal to finish her degree, leaving the Sarafina crew, including Khumalo and her husband to continue with the work of the theatrical drama in preparation for a series of overseas performances.   Leleti Khumalo   She said she was shocked when her mother warned her to be careful of Khumalo when she returned home from Durban for the Easter holidays...