Skip to main content

I am not afraid of water or death' - Nigerian migrant speaks on why she risked her life going to Italy from Libya

                           
A Nigerian female migrant, identified as Vitoria, who was among the over 100 migrants rescued last week by Medecin Sans Frontieres and SOS Méditerranee chartered Aquarius ship, has spoken on why she decided to risk the perilous crossing from Libya into Italy.

“I was not afraid of the water, because God created the water. I’m not afraid of death. We all die one day. I’m more afraid if the Libyan police were to catch me again, because they are so wicked,” the 21 year-old Nigerian told newsmen after she was rescued.

She was in the the group of migrants  to arrive at Sicilian city Catania on Thursday, which included six women, 32 teenagers and six children. It could not be ascertained the number of other Nigerians in the group.

She told the AFP that she had been in Libya for just over a year before setting off last weekend. She said that she had spent nearly six months in dreadful conditions in a Libyan prison after a failed first crossing last year. The country’s notorious detention centres have been blasted by human rights groups and the United Nations as “inhuman.”

Vitoria was one of those who had been on the Aquarius rescue ship, chartered by SOS Méditerranee and Medecins Sans Frontieres, since Monday night, after being saved on Sunday by a smaller boat; the Astral, run by a Spanish NGO following a call from the Italian coastguard.

More than 100 migrants were rescued off the coast of Libya in the operation, but they became stranded  in the central Mediterranean for three days during a diplomatic standoff between Rome and London.  Rome decided this week to allow the 105 people to land in Italy following a back-and-forth with British authorities over who should take them. Nearly 700,000 people have landed on Italian shores since 2013.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja-based businessman beaten to death by unknown assailants in Enugu

An Abuja-based businessman was beaten to death by unknown assailants in Enugu. The deceased, Chinedu Nzegwu popularly known as Obroshoo by friends, was attacked by the assailants few days before his return to Abuja. They reportedly hit him with a stick on the head leaving him for dead. Late Nzegwu, a Pure and Industrial Chemistry graduate of the University of Port Harcourt,  is a former student of Dennis Memorial Grammar School DMGS, Onitsha, Anambra State. His friends and family members have taken to Facebook to mourn his tragic death. One of them Nwachi Viktor, wrote: "Murdered in cold blood in Enugu by fellow ndi igbo. Another young and hardworking man from Onitsha.He was my junior in Dennis Memorial Grammar school Onitsha. Trying to understand why they had to beat him to death,he was never a thief and came from a good home. Rest in peace Chinedu Nzegwu. No one is safe in Nigeria!"

Police arrest alleged mastermind of Benue massacre (photo)

Operatives of the Inspector-General of Police Intelligence Response Team have arrested the alleged mastermind of the killing of over 73 residents of Benue State. 40 year old Alhaji Laggi, pictured above, was arrested along with three others, namely, Mallam Muminini Abdullahi, Muhammed Adamu and Ibrahim Sule. The police say Laggi coordinated the January 1st massacre in two communities in Benue state. Over 70 persons were killed and have since been given a mass burial. Laggi and his accomplies were arrested in Tunga town in Nasarawa state on February 16th and 19th

Dog mauled 12 years old boy of a nursing mother

Mother Abigail Ellis with baby Elon just days before the tragedy unfolded at in Doncaster   The devastated mother of a 12-day-old baby boy tragically mauled to death by the family dog on Sunday had rushed into the street screaming 'I never will forgive myself' in the moments after the horrific attack.  Elon was lying in his Moses basket in a downstairs room at the family home when the huge Chow Chow bounded inside after escaping from his pen in the back garden. He grabbed the infant, who weighted less than seven pounds, in his jaws as his father and the baby's brother battled in vain to save him. The child's mother Abigail Ellis, 27, was upstairs in the bathroom but her fiancé Stephen Joynes, 35, and young son witnessed the appalling attack at the terraced house in Woodlands on the outskirts of Doncaster, South Yorkshire.  Ellis and Joynes were arrested on suspicion of gross negligence manslaughter and have been bailed as police continue to probe the death. Neighbours h...