Skip to main content

Heartbroken Australian grandmother loses $480,000 to three different African 'Romance scammers'

                          Heartbroken Australian grandmother loses $480,000 to three different African
An Australian grandmother, who said she's lost AUD $480,000 (£264,768 / USD $359,088) to three different online scammers is now warning others about the dangers of looking for love online.

Speaking on Info-tainment show: A Current Affair show, Suzie, who chose not to reveal her surname, said she was 'brainwashed' in her pursuit of finding her one true love.
The first man she met online claimed to be a British guy called David Fisher. After beginning an online romance, Suzie eventually handed over AUD $80,000 (£44,141 / USD $59,848) she had inherited from her dad - but once 'David' had the cash he disappeared.

Suzie then got chatting to a man calling him Johnson Williams - he told her he was an American soldier, fighting the Taliban. Before long, he also started asking for cash.
"I went along with it because I thought, 'Wow, I've actually got somebody in my life now, and I'm committed to this man'."
Eventually, her bank got in touch after it spotted she was sending large sums of cash abroad. During a meeting with bank workers, she was told that the account she was transferring money to was also being sent cash from at least five other women. The account was based in Ghana - not the US.

 Heartbroken Australian grandmother loses $480,000 to three different African

In total, Suzie sent 'Johnson' almost AUD $300,000 (£165,531 / USD $224,440) before the bank intervened.
Despite her shocking experience of online relationships, Suzie also struck up a friendship with Godfrey Kyzungo, from Uganda, on Facebook.
However, the grandmother insisted on meeting him before parting with any money. She flew out to meet him after speaking for a few months, and within days of meeting face-to-face he proposed and they wed.
Suzie told the programme: "I had nothing to lose. Godfrey loved me no matter whether I had money or not."
But it wasn't long before he started to ask for money and now, Suzie admits:
"I don't want to use the word 'scam' with it, but I believe that deep down in his heart, this is his motive, was to marry me and come to Australia."
She is now looking to get her marriage annulled and is speaking out to warn others about potential 'romance scammers'.
"I'm not proud of what I've done. Don't get me wrong, I'm not proud of it, but I just want it to be known to other women and men that this is what happens. You're not alone. These people are evil how they manipulate your mind."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dasukigate: EFCC grills Nigeria’s former Army Chief Ihejirika

Azubuike Ihejirika, a former Chief of Army Staff Anti-graft detectives at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, are questioning Azubuike Ihejirika, a former Chief of Army Staff, over his alleged involvement in the $2.1 billion arms procurement scandal, sources at the commission have informed PREMIUM TIMES. Mr. Ihejirika, a retired lieutenant-general, arrived at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja around 11:00 a.m. Wednesday and was subsequently ushered into an interrogation room, PREMIUM TIMES learnt. Mr. Ihejirika, 62, led the Nigerian Army from September 2010 to January 2014 when he was dropped by President Goodluck Jonathan over his handling of the Boko Haram war. His visit to the EFCC comes about 20 months after  President Muhammadu Buhari said Mr. Ihejirika and others should be prosecuted  after they were indicted by a panel of inquiry that probed the arms scandal, now widely dubbed the Dasukigate. “He is being questioned as related to the procuremen...

Moment a businessman was kidnapped in South Africa

  A video shared online has shown moment a businessman was kidnapped by some gunmen in Fordsburg, Johannesburg.   In the video shared by South African journalist Yusuf Abramjee, a man wearing a dark jacket was seen being taken out his vehicle by two assailants clad in white. They moved him towards another vehicle and made sure they all got in.    The kidnapped man has been identified as Hamza Khan. He is said to be the son of Riaz Khan, owner of Khan’s Meat in Mayfair.   Watch the video below...  

Man arrested for snatching an Iphone 11

                                                      Officers on patrol along Iyana Ipaja have arrested a man, Ismaila Yusuf, who was accused of stealing a phone (iPhone 11) from a passenger in a tricycle 2 weeks ago. The victim recognised the suspect on the road this afternoon before screaming and drawing the attention of the officers who gave him a hot chase and apprehended him.                                                    He offered them bribe for them to let him go but they declined and took him down to Ipaja Police Station for further investigation.