Skip to main content

Birnin-Gwari: One killed, six abducted in fresh attack

Kaduna State map used to illustrate the story.
Kaduna State map used to illustrate the story.
                        
Hours after armed bandits abducted three housewives in an early morning raid in the area, six persons met with the same fate Saturday evening along the Birnin-Gwari – Kaduna highway.
Earlier on Sunday, we the abduction of the women at Maganda village along the Birnin-Gwari – Funtua‎ road.

The latest incident occurred around 9 p.m. on Saturday when the bandits opened fire on the commercial vehicle the victims were travelling in.
‎One of the passengers reportedly died in the attack after the driver lost control and their vehicle veered into the bush.

The Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW)‎ in Birnin Gwari, Danladi Duniya, and the driver of the vehicle confirmed the incident to PREMIUM TIMES.
‎According to Mr Duniya, the driver of the vehicle, a Volkswagen Golf 3 car, escaped as they were being taken into the bush by their abductors.
“Yes, one of our commercial cars plying Kaduna-Birnin Gwari road was attacked by armed men. One of the passengers in the car lost his life and has since been taken to his village Buruku for burial,” he said.

The driver of the vehicle, who declined to give his name to our reporter, in a telephone interview, narrated how the incident occurred.
“I left Kadun‎a to Birnin Gwari with seven persons in the car including myself making eight. When we got to Labbi village around 9 p.m. yesterday (Saturday), those bandits opened fire on the car and I lost control of it.
“When the car finally stopped in the bush I realised one passenger was dead.

“The bandits didn’t care as they asked us to follow them into the bush. It was night and there was confusion. So, I sneaked through the dark and escaped, leaving behind six other persons with them,” he said.
Asked if the passenger that died was shot by the bandits he said, “Honestly, I don’t know because it was in the night and it will be difficult to know if he was hit by a bullet or not,” he said.
‎According to him, the incident was reported to the police in Birnin Gwari.
 
“The truth is you only see policemen on the highway in the afternoon. But anything from 5 p.m. you can’t see any policeman on the road, leaving the bandits to operate with impunity,” he said.
Police spokesperson in the state, Aliyu Muktar, did not answer calls to his phone for his comment.
Attacks in Birnin Gwari have caused over 100 deaths in 2018. The Nigerian Army last week announced a new battalion for the local government to help ensure security for the area.
So far, however, the new battalion has not stopped the bandits from carrying out their nefarious activities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lagos peaks again as Nigeria records 329 more Coronavirus cases

                                Nigeria recorded 329 more cases of Coronavirus on Friday, with Lagos topping the chat with 113 new infections. With the figures, Nigeria’s total confirmed Coronavirus cases is put at 48,445. Though, the fresh cases recorded by the nation is still on the lower side when compared with the 373 cases raked in on Thursday, the rise in infections in Lagos greatly boosted the new figures. Lagos’ 113 new cases is almost twice the 69 cases it recorded on Thursday. The 329 new cases were recorded in 21 states in the nation. Kaduna came a distant second with 49 cases, with FCT following with 33 cases; Plateau, 24 cases; Kano, 16 cases; Edo, 15 cases; Ogun, 14 cases; Delta, 13 cases and Osun, 10 cases. Others are: Oyo-8, Ekiti-6, Bayelsa-6, Akwa Ibom-5, Borno-4, Enugu-4, Ebonyi-3, Rivers-2, Bauchi-1, Nasarawa-1, Gombe-1 and Niger-1. Nine deaths were recorded on Thursday to take total numb...

SARS officers allegedly chase three suspected internet fraudsters to their death

  Young men in Osogbo, Osun state took to the streets to protest after three suspected internet fraudsters were allegedly chased to their death by SARS officers today September 15 According to eyewitnesses, the young men were riding in their car when the SARS officers attempted to stop them. They refused to stop and the SARS officers engaged them in a hot chase. The driver of the car veered off the road and hit an electric pole. While one of the occupants in the car died on the spot, two others died later. Aggrieved youths in the area dumped one of the corpses in front of Osun Government House, Oke Fia, and destroyed a motorcycle. Also, the protesters, who were mostly youths, also targeted police operatives and attacked many bystanders around Oke Fia, Alekuwodo, and Ilobu road.   The spokesperson of the state police command is yet to comment on the incident.

Ex-wife of revered South African playwright, Mbongeni Ngema accuses 'Sarafina' star Leleti Khumalo of being in an adulterous relationship with ex-husband

Xoliswa Nduneni-Ngema, the ex-wife of revered South African playwright Mbongeni Ngema has accused Sarafina protagonist Leleti Khumalo of being in an adulterous relationship with her former husband while they were married.    Nduneni who recalled how she assaulted Khumalo after discovering that she was involved in an adulterous affair with Ngema in her tell-all book titled Heart of A Strong Woman, noted that she is not proud of what she did.   Recalling what happened at that time, the playwright's ex-wife who is currently the CEO of Joburg City Theatres, said she left Joburg in 1985 and went to KwaZulu-Natal to finish her degree, leaving the Sarafina crew, including Khumalo and her husband to continue with the work of the theatrical drama in preparation for a series of overseas performances.   Leleti Khumalo   She said she was shocked when her mother warned her to be careful of Khumalo when she returned home from Durban for the Easter holidays...