Skip to main content

Kenya police reveals appalling details of foiled terror attack that would have killed hundreds of Kenyans

Police reveals appalling details of foiled terror attack that would have killed hundreds of Kenyans
Kenyan Inspector General of Police,  Joseph Boinnet, on Wednesday, revealed chilling details of the recent foiled terror attack, which is said to be one of the most successful arrests in recent times.
The terror suspects arrested in Isiolo last month, one of whom had booked a hotel room for almost a week near the Central Police Station, were targeting the Judiciary buildings and a government installation.

Mr Boinnet said that the vehicle with registration number KBM 200D that was seized from the suspects in Merti, Isiolo County, was laden with approximately 80kg of high-grade Trinitrotoluene (TNT) explosives.
The police boss revealed that the vehicle, which would have been used as a Suicide Vehicle Bound Explosive Device (SVBIED), was set to be driven to Nairobi and would have killed hundreds of innocent civilians.
A police investigation revealed that one of the suspects, Abdimajit Adan, 24, had booked a hotel room near the Central Police Station 10 days earlier, and only travelled to Merti on the day he was arrested, leaving a note to the hotel management pleading for them to reserve the same room for him because he would be back.
He was arrested alongside Mohammed Nane on Thursday, February 15, after a brief exchange of fire.
Police found five AK-47 assault rifles, 1,099 rounds of ammunition, and 36 fully loaded magazines in their car. A third suspect was killed at the scene in Yamincha, while two others escaped.
It emerged after the vehicle was towed to Nairobi for scrutiny that the suspects had laced it with eight projectiles and shrapnel materials around its body.
Each of the ranged weapon, according to Mr Boinnett, contains approximately 10kg of TNT.
The shrapnel in it include ball bearings meant to maximise causalities when it explodes.
“Typically, terrorists prefer ramming an SVBIED on a gate or main entrance to the target. To avoid premature detonation.” he said during a press conference outside the DCI Headquarters’ Forensic laboratory.
“This allows the second team of terrorist armed with AK47 assault rifles to stage a siege inside the target building,” Mr Boinnett added, giving an example of the Kulbiyow and El Adde attacks where the SVBIED were used to stage attacks.
The police boss said if the terrorists had been successful, the SVBIED would have caused a high magnitude explosion that would have brought down a building frontal structure while the explosion wave would have killed hundreds of Kenyans.
“The bomb would have destroyed buildings, vehicles, and infrastructural structures nearby besides killing hundreds of people within a radius of 250 metres,” he said.
An expert attached to the Bomb and Hazardous Disposal Unit explained that just a kilogramme of TNT can cause destruction in up to 11 metres radius from the epicentre. The recovered explosives weighed 100kg in total.
“The explosion would also cause massive traffic disruption and such an outcome would allow for another attack to take place,” Mr Boinnet said.
The objective of the destruction and murder, the police boss said, was to spread fear, attract attention of local, regional and international media and to embarrass government security forces so that they overreact and appear repressive.
The police had three days after arresting the suspects in Merti, nabbed two more suspects and found them with receipts of two motorcycles.
Source: Nation Kenya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man Sentenced To 1 Year Imprisonment For Breaching Official Trust

Justice A Wuse Zone 2 Magistrates’ Court, Abuja on Tuesday, sentenced a 33-year-old civil servant, Aminu Maru, to one year imprison  for breach of official trust. The convict, who resides in Janyan house, opposite Gwagwalada Park, Area 1, Abuja,however, pleaded guilty to the one count charge of breach of official trust.and begged for mercy. The Magistrate, Mr Raphael Egbe, in his judgement said the court relied on the provision of section 99 B of the penal code to sentence the convict. Egbe, who told the convict to be of good behaviour so as not to go back to crime, however, gave him an option of N100, 000. The prosecutor, Mr Jamil Hamisu, had told the court that investigations by the State Security Service (SSS) revealed that Maru committed the offence between Nov. 15 and Nov. 21, 2017. Hamisu said that the convict was an accountant attached to the office of the Accountant-General of the Federation (OAGF) but seconded to the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON)....

Again, EFCC Arrests Internet Fraudsters

                                       The Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC, has arrested three suspected internet fraudsters, at No 24, 1st Avenue, Fort Royal Estate, Airport road, Abuja. The suspects are; Marvin Nwankwo, Prince Ojenike and Jude Olatekobowale. They created a Facebook account with the following names: Rodney David; David Rodgers and Carlos David, respectively. Their arrest was based on intelligence report that the suspects turned the said residence as their office, using laptops, phone and other gadgets to defraud innocent people, including foreigners, of their hard earned money and other valuables.                           ...

FBI charges juvenile, two others over celebrity Twitter hack

                               The United States’  Federal Bureau of Investigation  (FBI) has charged three persons including a juvenile over their alleged roles in the  Twitter  security incident that resulted in a cryptocurrency scam worth thousands of dollars. On July 15, PREMIUM TIMES  (reported how)  the social media giant was infiltrated by hackers who broke into 130 accounts, including those belonging to ex-President Barack Obama, ex-Vice President Joe Biden and billionaires Bill Gates and Elon Musk. The announcement of the charge was made by United States Attorney David L. Anderson; Acting Assistant Attorney General Brian Rabbitt of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division; FBI Special Agent in Charge John L. Bennett; and some other officials. The three facing charges are Mason Sheppard, Nima Fazeli and a juvenile, whose identity was protected in pursuant to the Federa...