Skip to main content

Corruption: Finance Director Reveals How Dikko Collected N558.2m NAF Funds Monthly, for 2years


The trial of Air Marshal Mahammed Umar Dikko, former Chief of Air Staff, on charges of fraud to the tune of N9.7billion came up on Thursday, February 8, 2018 before Justice Nnamdi Dimgba of the Federal High Court, sitting in Maitama, Abuja, with the cross-examination of the first prosecution witness, Air Commodore Salisu A. Yushau (rtd).
Dikko, who served as the Chief of Air Staff, Nigerian Air Force, NAF, between September 2010 and 2012, is facing a 7-count charge of money laundering and procurement fraud to the tune of N9.7billion preferred against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
He, among other things, allegedly withdrew N700million from the Nigeria Air Force (NAF) account to purchase a house at No. 14 Vistula Close, off Panama Street in Maitama, Abuja.
The former Air Chief was also said to have stolen N500million from the NAF account to buy a four-bedroom duplex at Road 3B Street 2 in Mabushi Ministers Hill, Abuja. Additionally, the former NAF boss allegedly took N250million from the NAF's coffers to buy a property at No. 14, Audu Bako Way, GRA, Kano State in 2011.
Yushau, had in his evidence which started last year February told the court that he was appointed as the director of finance and accounting, DFA, by the defendant (Dikko), a position that put him in charge of all the financial roles.
The witness stated that he receive and disburse NAF funds on the orders of Dikko, adding that the Nigerian Air Force received its funds to the tune of N4billion monthly.
The PW1 under cross-examination by Dikko’s counsel, Hassan Liman, SAN, insisted that he acted solely on the instructions from his boss (Dikko) with respect to the release of funds.
He said that whenever approvals were obtained from the defendant, payment vouchers were raised before payments were made.
He further told the court that he paid the defendant the sum of N558.2million monthly, for two years.
“I can confirm that I gave the defendant N558.2million monthly, from November 2010 to September 2012. I personally gave it to him and it was usually exchanged into United States Dollar”, Yushau said.
He went on: “I always received two types of instructions; oral and written instructions. When the defendant needs money, the instruction was always oral. But when other officers needed money, the request will come in written form and he will now approve”.
Yushau told the court that he was also investigated by the EFCC.
Under re-examination by Silvanus Tahir, counsel to EFCC, the witness told the court that he had while in South Africa for a course, he travelled down to Nigeria on two occasions, to personally give money to Dikko.
“While on course in South Africa, I had to come to Nigeria twice to personally give money to Dikko. The first one was in September 2011, of which I collected the money for July and August and gave to the defendant.
“My second coming was in November 2011 when I collected the money for September and October 2011 and gave him.
“The last one was after my course was in December, when I collected the money and gave him in January 2012”, Yushau stated. 
He further said that no receipt was issued to him by Dikko for all the money he personally gave him.
Thereafter, Justice Dimgba adjourned to March 20 - 21, 2018, for continuation of trial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Police confirms 5 dead, several injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militias

                                  Atleast 5 people were killed and several others injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militia in Sardauna Local Government Area of Taraba State on Saturday. The spokesman for the Taraba State Police Command, ASP David Misal, who confirmed the incident said the crisis started on Thursday over a land dispute between Fulani and Mambilla in Yerimaru village and later snowballed into neighbouring villages. Misal said that units of mobile policemen and soldiers from the 20 battalion in Serti have been dispatched to the area to maintain law and order, adding that several homes were burnt down and many cows killed and stolen during the attack. A fleeing resident Saadu Mogoggo whose house was attacked at Leme suburb of Gembu, said two of his younger brothers were killed their cattle were rustled by the militia. “As I am...

My horrible encounter with Ochanya’s alleged abuser – Victim’s sister speaks (1)

Mr and Mrs Ogbanje, Ochanya's parents   Sitting on the bed in a room at Ogene-Amejo village and listening to Rose Abah, mother of the deceased rape victim, Ochanya Ogbanje; there was almost no way of telling what her next stunning revelation would be. She earlier narrated the horrible details about her daughter, Ochanya’s  death . Mrs Abah told PREMIUM TIMES that Andrew Ogbuja made several attempts to rape her other 26-year-old daughter, Esther Ameh. According to Mrs Abah, the incident happened in April, 2018, when Miss Ameh went to the Ogbuja’s to care for her 13-year-old sister who had become perennially sick, after going to live with Mrs Ogbuja who was a maternal second cousin to the siblings. “Do you know that he also tried to sleep with my late daughter’s elder sister, Esther? That one is 13 years older than Ochanya,” Ms Abah said. Pointing at Miss Ameh’s picture hung on the wall, Mrs Abah said her other daughter had gone to the Ogbuja’s to care of...

The worst crime a family can do is marrying their scumbag son to an innocent girl in the hope he will miraculously change" Arab influencer writes

    An Arab influencer has raised a discussion about families marrying off their sons who are not responsible enough, to innocent girls.   He pointed out that it has become common and when the man's behaviour doesn't improve after marriage, the woman is blamed.   Abed Alii tweeted: "The worst crime a family can do is marrying their son, who they know is a scum bag, to an innocent girl in the hope he will miraculously change...   "My sympathies are always with the womenfolk. They leave their family and come to an absolutely new one, without any support and then get abused. I’ve heard that so many times. 'maybe she’ll change him. She will make him change his bad habits. She’s a good girl.' It’s not her job to educate your son at the risk of damaging her mental Health!  And vice versa... let’s keep it real."   He added that it goes both ways and he has seen it happen to someone he knows.   Read his tweets below.