Skip to main content

Kidnap victim recounts ordeal, thanks DSS, army.

Image result for kidnap
Mrs Adeola Dawodu, a 46-year-old woman, has expressed gratitude to the Department of State Services and the Nigerian Army for rescuing her from kidnappers.
Dawodu, a mother of four and wife to a Shell worker, was kidnapped on Jan. 20 and held captive for six days before her rescue on Thursday.
The victim told the News Agency of Nigeria in Port Harcourt on Friday that she was kidnapped alongside her 20-year-old and three-year-old daughters in front of her estate.
She said that as they waited for her security to open the gate on their return from a vigil service, a man in army camouflage appeared and pointed a gun at her.
“I left my church, Foursquare Gospel Church, Rumuobiakani, around 5 a.m. on January 20 after a vigil service. I drove through Okporo Road and headed to my residence at RD road.
“When I arrived RD road, I felt uneasy because the area was in complete darkness. I got to the entrance of my estate and beeped my car horn for security to open the main gate.
“After five minutes of waiting; the gate was opened, and as I attempted to drive in, a man in army camouflage came and pointed a gun at me.
“He asked me to roll down my window and I refused. As I tried to drive through; the man broke the side glass and hit me so hard with the butt of the gun that I started bleeding profusely.”
However, she said her girls were set free unconditionally after an argument among the kidnappers whether or not to take them.
She said that after dropping off her daughters, she was then blindfolded and taken away in a drive that lasted for about two hours before they arrived at an uncompleted building in an isolated area.
The victim said that her hands and legs were bound and that she was then handed over to two men at the kidnappers’ den.
She said that her abductors had threatened to kill her if N50 million ransom was not paid to them.
“They told me that they had killed several of their victims who refused to cooperate and others that ransom was not paid.”
She said that on the day of her rescue, she heard loud noise which she initially thought were from 
construction sites in the area.
“But the sound became louder, and only then did I realise that it was gunshots. I was terrified and confused at the same time.
“I thought that maybe my abductors were having a clash among themselves and I started praying fervently.
“Moments later, some men peeped through the window where I was kept and requested for my identity. It was only then I realised that they were security operatives.”
Dawodu said that the DSS officials later took her away for de-briefing.
“I am so grateful to God, the DSS and the Army for coming to my rescue. It still looks like a film show to me.”
While expressing joy at re-uniting with her family and friends, Dawodu advised worshippers going home from vigils to be cautious and to wait until dawn.
She also urged the government to monitor uncompleted buildings, to stem the kidnap rate in the country.
Meanwhile, a top DSS official who pleaded anonymity, confirmed to NAN that two suspects had been detained in connection with the abduction.
(NAN)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sergeant arrested for killing one and injuring 3 persons

  A Police Sergeant identified as Bello Garba has been arrested and detained for allegedly shooting one person to death and injuring three others in Sokoto on Friday September 25.    According to the state police command, the arrested policeman shot 25-year-old Aminu Abdulrahman to death and injured Junaidu Abba, Babangida Muhammad and Awaisu Alti.   Police spokesperson in the state, ASP Muhammad Sadiq said victims of the incident were sharing money doled out by Gov. Aminu Tambuwal during the Juma’at prayers to mark Nigeria’s 60th Independence anniversary, held at Sultan Bello Jumu’at mosque.   The statement read;    “The policeman unprofessionally fired without reasonable justification at that material time. The Sokoto State Police Command condemns in its entirety the unwarranted, uncivil and unprofessional conduct of a Police Sergeant on special duty in the state. ”Commissioner of Police. Mr Sani Kaoje had ordered the detenti...

Six members of notorious robbery gang including a female arrested in Bayelsa State

                            The state Police Command on Friday smashed a gang what have been terrorizing Igbogene-Yenagoa and its environs arresting six members of a notorious robbery gang, including a female with arms and ammunition recovered from them. The suspects are Sunday Alo, 22; Henry Goddy, 25; Justice John Ukpaka, 23; Choima Blessing 22; Favour Ojum 20; and a female, Justina Odua, 23. Asinim Butswat, spokesman to command said in Yenagoa that the arrest was made possible through a tip- off by members of the public. “On 4th May, 2018 at about 0400hrs, in a coordinated operation, the tactical commanders and operatives from Igbogene Police Division, led by the Divisional Police Officer, raided the hideout of the criminal gang at Igbogene. Upon a thorough search of the house, the Police recovered the following arms and...

Malaysian anti-graft agency to question former PM Najib

Former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak listens to US President Barack Obama speak during the 10-nation Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Rancho Mirage, California on February 15, 2016. Photo: Reuters Malaysia’s former Prime Minister, Najib Razak, will give a statement at a corruption investigation looking into a transfer of millions of dollars from state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), three anti-graft agency sources said. Police have been searching Najib’s home and other places linked to him as part of investigation into scandal-plagued 1MDB, an extraordinary turn of events that few would have predicted before his shock defeat in a May 9 general election. The summons by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) comes as part of a widening investigation into Najib. The commission had found evidence that about 10.6 million dollars was transferred from 1MDB’s former subsidiary, SRC I...