Skip to main content

Four Nigerians hospitalised, shops burnt in fresh South African attacks

The Nigerian Community in South Africa says four members are in critical condition in the hospital while some shops have been burnt in renewed attacks by South Africans.
Paul Nwanedo, chairman, Nigerian Union, North West Province chapter told the News Agency of Nigeria on the telephone from Rustenburg that the attacks against Nigerians began on Sunday.
He said that taxi drivers in Rustenburg alleged that a Nigerian abducted and raped a 16-year-old South African girl and also alleged that Nigerians sold drugs to a local gang that attacked their members.
“This is absolutely untrue. We have investigated and found out that the allegations are false. The union is worried about the safety of our members in Rustenburg,” he said.
Mr. Nwanedo said that four Nigerians caught by the taxi drivers were beaten and are in critical condition in the hospital while some shops belonging to Nigerians had been torched.
“As I speak to you, we are afraid because the attacks have continued and our members are still in hiding.
“We have reported to the police and our national secretariat. We want the safety of lives and property of our people,” he said.
Adetola Olubajo, President of the union, said that the national secretariat had been informed about the incident at Rustenburg.
“Investigation by the union shows that no Nigerians abducted or raped a South African girl. Indeed, no Nigerian has been arrested for the offence and we are worried about the turn of events.
“The lives and property of our citizens in Rustenburg are in danger and there is an urgent need for intervention. We appeal to our mission and Federal government to intervene urgently and save the situation,” Mr. Olubajo said.
The spokesman of the police in Rustenburg, Sabata Mokgwabone, said the reason for the violent protest was unclear but confirmed that “the burnt houses are those occupied by foreign nationals,”
North West Provincial Commissioner of Police, Baile Motswenyane, called on the public to work with law enforcement officials.
“Those who are doing this must know that they are committing a crime and drastic action will be taken, including against our own members who are involved in criminal activities,” he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja-based businessman beaten to death by unknown assailants in Enugu

An Abuja-based businessman was beaten to death by unknown assailants in Enugu. The deceased, Chinedu Nzegwu popularly known as Obroshoo by friends, was attacked by the assailants few days before his return to Abuja. They reportedly hit him with a stick on the head leaving him for dead. Late Nzegwu, a Pure and Industrial Chemistry graduate of the University of Port Harcourt,  is a former student of Dennis Memorial Grammar School DMGS, Onitsha, Anambra State. His friends and family members have taken to Facebook to mourn his tragic death. One of them Nwachi Viktor, wrote: "Murdered in cold blood in Enugu by fellow ndi igbo. Another young and hardworking man from Onitsha.He was my junior in Dennis Memorial Grammar school Onitsha. Trying to understand why they had to beat him to death,he was never a thief and came from a good home. Rest in peace Chinedu Nzegwu. No one is safe in Nigeria!"

Police confirms 5 dead, several injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militias

                                  Atleast 5 people were killed and several others injured in fresh attacks on Fulani settlements by suspected Mambilla militia in Sardauna Local Government Area of Taraba State on Saturday. The spokesman for the Taraba State Police Command, ASP David Misal, who confirmed the incident said the crisis started on Thursday over a land dispute between Fulani and Mambilla in Yerimaru village and later snowballed into neighbouring villages. Misal said that units of mobile policemen and soldiers from the 20 battalion in Serti have been dispatched to the area to maintain law and order, adding that several homes were burnt down and many cows killed and stolen during the attack. A fleeing resident Saadu Mogoggo whose house was attacked at Leme suburb of Gembu, said two of his younger brothers were killed their cattle were rustled by the militia. “As I am...

Scotland yard commander in charge of drug strategy is suspended over alleged drug misuse

                                           A Scotland Yard commander who led the force’s drug strategy and heads misconduct hearings has been suspended over allegations of drug misuse.   Commander Julian Bennett was secretly suspended last month following claims involving controlled drugs. It was reported that he was taken off duty after refusing to have a drug test following a tip-off about alleged substance abuse.    The veteran officer now faces an internal investigation by Scotland Yard’s directorate of professional standards, despite reports that part of his role in the force is acting as chairman in misconduct proceedings.   Nicknamed ‘Sacker,’ Mr. Bennett is well known for his stern rulings due to the number of officers kicked out of the force, having presided over hundreds of hearings since 2010, including some of the force’s most controversial invest...