Skip to main content

Uber driver accused of raping and murdering British diplomat in Beirut told cops he killed her for 'wearing a short skirt'

A sick video on suspect Tarek Hawchieh's Facebook page shows him performing a sex act with a fish.
Suspect Tarek Hawchieh was pictured with a semi-automatic weapon on Facebook
An Uber driver accused of raping and murdering a British diplomat told police he targeted her because she was wearing a short skirt, it has been reported.
Tarek Hawchieh has been named as the man suspected of killing 30-year-old Rebecca Dykes in Beirut, and a horrifying Facebook video shows him taking part in a sex act with a fish.
The murder suspect is also photoed smiling as he poses with an assault rifle.
Ms Dykes, who worked at the British Embassy in the Lebanese capital, is believed to have been strangled after being picked up from a bar, where she had met with friends.
Her body was found by police dumped at the side of the road, and the 29-year-old driver was identified using tracking information from his car.
A Lebanese police source told MailOnline: "He said he found her pretty, wearing a short skirt…and so he decided to rape her as it would be easy as she was a foreigner."
Images on the suspect's Facebook page include shots of him holding a Kalashnikov weapon in 2014, and he is also pictured pouring himself what appears to be vodka.
Lebanon's interior minister this week said the Uber driver had served time in prison, and accused the company of not checking criminal records of its drivers.
Minister Nohad Machnouk said the driver had three priors on his judicial record involving drugs and had been imprisoned on that basis.
The driver was traced using tracking information from his car, according to reports 
The Uber driver reportedly admitted to the killing when he was arrested
"This company, when it hires drivers, and lets them work within its organisation, does not check their priors", he said at a news conference.
An Uber spokesperson said all drivers the company uses in Lebanon are fully licensed by the government and must have a clear judicial record.
The spokesperson said a copy of the driver's judicial record published by local media, showing no judgments against the driver, was accurate.
Uber confirmed in an email that he was a licensed taxi driver with a clean background check.
Ms Dykes' family said they are "grateful that the investigation is moving at pace" and thanked the authorities for acting "quickly and thoroughly".
"Becky was genuine, generous, and loving, as anyone who knew her would agree. She was intelligent, ambitious, and dedicated to her work," they said.
"Becky had a love of travelling, and was passionate about helping people.
"She always wanted to make the world a better place - her humanitarian work in Beirut was testament to that."
       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 people die, 8 injured during a birthday party clash in Bauchi State

                        The Bauchi State police command have confirmed that three persons were killed and eight others injured in a clash that erupted at a birthday party on Sunday night in Lushi Ward in Bauchi. The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Kamal Abubakar, confirmed the incident saying that 75 suspects had been arrested in connection with the clash. He said that two houses were burnt during the incident and that the situation has been brought under control. He also said that investigation was going on to get to the root of the crisis. According to Abubakar, the crisis started following a misunderstanding among some youths at a birthday party in Kusu area of Sakani which later spread to other parts of Yelwa Ward. An eye witness said that the incident might have started when two young men fought over a young lady a...

Police foil robbery attack in Niger

Nigeria Police   Police in Niger said they had gunned down two suspected armed robbers in the Madalla area of Suleja Local Government Area of the state. The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Adamu Usman, disclosed this in Minna on Friday. Usman said on Sept. 17 at about 0220 hours, police operatives attached to ‘C’ division Madalla, in a response to a distress call, engaged some suspected armed robbers in a gun duel at New Gwarinpa via Zuma Rock, Suleja. He said that in the process, two of the gunmen sustained gunshot injuries and one of them died on the spot, while the second later died at Lucas Clinic, Madalla where he was initially taken for treatment. Items recovered from the suspects include two laptop computers and two Plasma Television sets. ”We have also arrested one Haruna Mohammed of Gauraka at Zuba with gunshot wounds and taken for medical treatment. During interrogation, the suspect confessed to being a member of the syndicate that attempted to operate at New Gwar...

Man murdered in Anambra has been identified as the Senior Special Assistant to Governor Obiano on Security

                                              The 43-year-old man murdered in Anambra state early this morning has been identified as the Senior Special Assistant to Governor Obiano on Security.   Earlier on Sunday, August 9, it was reported that the Anambra state police command arrested one person in connection with the murder of 43-year-old Azubuike Ekwegbalu, at Commissioners quarters in Awka ( Check Here ).   The Anambra State Government has now confirmed his death.   A statement signed by Don Adinuba, Commissioner for Information & Public Enlightenment, reads: "The Anambra State Government announces with great sadness the death early this morning of Mr Azubuike Ekwegbalu, Senior Special Assistant (SSA) to the State Governor on Security. The Police suspect his death may be a case of homicide."   "Mr Ekwegbalu was a thorough, quiet, unassuming, en...