Skip to main content

Police arrests 7-suspects selling new Naira notes

Selling newly minted naira notes is an offence that attracts six months imprisonment and seven suspects are now in police net for trading and hawking newly minted naira notes in Onitsha, Anambra state.

According to the State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Garba Umar, the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, has raised alarm over the illegal activity going on for a while now unchecked and calls for swift action to arrest the culprits who even brazenly display them in public as a product.

Garba while addressing the press over the matter cites sections 20 and 21 of the CBN Act that makes it an offence for anyone to sell or hawk naira or coin issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria, cautions citizens to desist from abusing the naira and says those arrested will be prosecuted.

At the Anambra State Police Headquarters in Amawbia, seven suspects have been paraded by the police for illegal trading and hawking of newly minted notes in Onitsha. The police upon arresting the suspects on December 21st also recovered over four million naira newly minted notes.

Mr. Garba stated that seven people were with two at large, who are neck-deep in the activity and says they will be prosecuted. One of the suspects speaking on his involvement in the nefarious activity says he does not know the source of the newly minted notes as he buys from a dealer.

Festive periods always come with activities with people engaging in free spraying of money which may warrant one looking for newly minted money, the Commissioner of Police says the CBN is serious with ending the illegality of people trading on naira and anybody found engaging in the business will be prosecuted, adding that aggressive investigation is going on to find out who is the source of the distribution of the newly minted money either from the bank or wherever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 people die, 8 injured during a birthday party clash in Bauchi State

                        The Bauchi State police command have confirmed that three persons were killed and eight others injured in a clash that erupted at a birthday party on Sunday night in Lushi Ward in Bauchi. The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Kamal Abubakar, confirmed the incident saying that 75 suspects had been arrested in connection with the clash. He said that two houses were burnt during the incident and that the situation has been brought under control. He also said that investigation was going on to get to the root of the crisis. According to Abubakar, the crisis started following a misunderstanding among some youths at a birthday party in Kusu area of Sakani which later spread to other parts of Yelwa Ward. An eye witness said that the incident might have started when two young men fought over a young lady a...

Man pens glowing tribute to 19-year-old UNIJOS student 4 years after she was shot dead while trying to save her father from assassins

                                 Today marks the four year death anniversary of Hammamatu Babangida Suleiman, a 19-year-old student, who was killed by suspected assassins in Plateau State, while trying to save her father.   Sen. Auwal Marshall penned this glowing tribute to late Hammamatu, fondly called Ummy. Read below:     A DAY OF MOURNING 4year Without Ummi   Hammamatu Babangida Suleiman (a.k.a Ummy) was a classical girl you would describe as a life cut short. She was a 19yrs old Remedial student with the University of Jos. A very intelligent, determined, purposeful and ambiguous younger girl who has alots of dreams and hopes for a better tomorrow. She is aspiring to study Medicine, with the hope of becoming a Medical Doctor some day.   All these wonderful vision was cu...

Police foil robbery attack in Niger

Nigeria Police   Police in Niger said they had gunned down two suspected armed robbers in the Madalla area of Suleja Local Government Area of the state. The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Adamu Usman, disclosed this in Minna on Friday. Usman said on Sept. 17 at about 0220 hours, police operatives attached to ‘C’ division Madalla, in a response to a distress call, engaged some suspected armed robbers in a gun duel at New Gwarinpa via Zuma Rock, Suleja. He said that in the process, two of the gunmen sustained gunshot injuries and one of them died on the spot, while the second later died at Lucas Clinic, Madalla where he was initially taken for treatment. Items recovered from the suspects include two laptop computers and two Plasma Television sets. ”We have also arrested one Haruna Mohammed of Gauraka at Zuba with gunshot wounds and taken for medical treatment. During interrogation, the suspect confessed to being a member of the syndicate that attempted to operate at New Gwar...