Skip to main content

Ex-Militant Leader, Tompolo Loses Three Cases Against EFCC

Justice E. A. Obile of the Federal High Court, Warri Division, Delta State, on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 struck out the last of the three cases instituted by a former Niger Delta militant leader, Government Ekpemupolo (also known as Tompolo) and others against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
In the suit, FHC/WR/CS/172/2015, the applicants among other reliefs prayed the court for an order restraining EFCC from declaring Keston Pondi, a director in Tompolo’s company wanted and also for an order nullifying letters of invitation extended to Pondi by the anti-graft agency. The applicants further prayed the court to order EFCC to direct all enquiries regarding the matter being investigated by the agency in writing to Pondi, while he is to provide written responses.
The case was, however, struck out for lack of diligent prosecution by the applicants. This is because the case was abandoned after a sister case with similar facts involving Tompolo (Suit No: FHC/WR/CS/171/2015) had been struck out based on the preliminary objection filed by the Commission.
It will be recalled that Justice Obile had earlier on Thursday, April 13, 2017 dismissed a case, suit No: FHC/WR/CS/171/2015, by Tompolo against the EFCC and its former head of operation, Lagos Office, Iliyasu Kwarbai, following the preliminary objection by the Commission.
Tompolo had by the said suit sought for an order restraining the EFCC from declaring him wanted and also for an order nullifying the letters of invitation extended to him by the Commission. He further prayed the court to order the EFCC to direct all enquiries to him in writing, while he provides written responses.
In a similar fashion, Justice Obile had earlier on December 15, 2017 upheld a preliminary objection by the EFCC in striking out a case, suit No: FHC/W/CS/152/2015, against Commission by a company purportedly owned by Tompolo, Mieka Dive Limited.

Tompolo had in that suit invited the court to declare the freezing of his company accounts (Mieka Dive) as unlawful, illegal and a violation of his fundamental rights to ownership and possession of property in Nigeria. The applicants also requested the court to unfreeze the said accounts and make an order of perpetual injunction restraining the Commission from further freezing, confiscating and/or depriving the applicants’ access to the funds in the accounts, while asking for a cost of N100million as damages against the Commission.

The court in upholding the preliminary objection, held that the EFCC cannot be restrained from performing its statutory duties and that the applicants cannot use the court as a shield in evading investigation and possible prosecution.

“To do otherwise, would amount to granting the applicants judicial fiat”, the judge held.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horror as a whistle blower uncovers horrific abuse Chinese company in Aba allegedly subject their Nigerian staff to

                                     A whistleblower has exposed the horrific abuse and discrimination he allegedly uncovered in a Chinese company operating in Nigeria.   The Twitter user said the company located in at Umuahala, Obuzor Asa, in Ukwa West LGA of Abia State, is managed by Chinese while most of their workers are Nigerians.     However, he said the Nigerian staff are made to work under the most "dehumanizing conditions ever known to mankind".   He reported that every Nigerian staff is expected to call every Chinese staff "Master or Mistress".   He added that "male Nigerian workers are physically assaulted, while their female counterparts are sexually assaulted without any consequence."   When a Nigerian staff errs, the Chinese staff allegedly employ the services of Nigerian soldiers to discipline them mercilessly.    ...

Straying cows cause ghastly motor accident in River

Straying cows owned by suspected Fulani herdsmen caused a ghastly accident along the Port Harcourt Airport road in Rivers state. The straying cows came out from the bush, facing sn oncoming Toyota Camry. The car got damaged when the driver tried to avoid hitting the straying cows.  A witness at the scene of the accident, Ezebunwo Ichemati, shared the experience on Facebook, wrote The Rivers State Government and House Of Assembly should as a matter of urgency propose and pass into law the Anti Open Grazing bill to save our Daughters and Sons from the carelessness of these Fulani Cattle rearers on our roads. On my way back from Etche along the Port Harcourt airport road that leads to obiri Ikwerre, I saw two cows lying lifeless on the road and also a damaged toyota camry car on same road and this caused serious traffic. I alighted from the car, got very close to the accident scene,only to discover that a Facebook friend of mine Miss Nengi was the passenge...

Abuja-based businessman beaten to death by unknown assailants in Enugu

An Abuja-based businessman was beaten to death by unknown assailants in Enugu. The deceased, Chinedu Nzegwu popularly known as Obroshoo by friends, was attacked by the assailants few days before his return to Abuja. They reportedly hit him with a stick on the head leaving him for dead. Late Nzegwu, a Pure and Industrial Chemistry graduate of the University of Port Harcourt,  is a former student of Dennis Memorial Grammar School DMGS, Onitsha, Anambra State. His friends and family members have taken to Facebook to mourn his tragic death. One of them Nwachi Viktor, wrote: "Murdered in cold blood in Enugu by fellow ndi igbo. Another young and hardworking man from Onitsha.He was my junior in Dennis Memorial Grammar school Onitsha. Trying to understand why they had to beat him to death,he was never a thief and came from a good home. Rest in peace Chinedu Nzegwu. No one is safe in Nigeria!"