Skip to main content

MAN JAILED OVER ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF FIREARM , LIVE AMMUNITION

A Federal High Court in Jos has sentenced a motorcyclist, James Adamu, to eight years imprisonment after he pleaded guilty to illegal possession of firearm and 13 rounds of live ammunition.
Adamu, 32, a resident of Du, Jos South Local Government Area, was jailed on Wednesday, by Justice Dorcas Ajisi.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Adamu, after pleading guilty to the crime, begged the court for leniency.
NAN also quotes Adamu’s counsel, Mr David Adudu, as praying the court to be lenient in its sentence, considering that the accused did not waste the time of the court.
Ajisi, in her judgement, sentenced the convict to five years in prison for unlawful possession of firearm, and three years for being in possession of live ammunition.
The judge, who did not give the convict an option of fine, said that both sentences would run concurrently.
She added that the sentence was meant to serve as a deterrent to those who might want to engage in similar acts.
The convict, who was first arraigned on Feb. 16, had immediately owned up to the crime.
The police prosecutor, Mr E.O Ochai, of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, had told the court that the accused person was arrested on Oct. 9, 2016 and when a search was conducted at his home.
Ochai said that the accused person had told the police in a confessional statement, that the firearm belonged to his business partner, one Mahmuda Hussaini, and that he was holding it as a collateral for money he lent to him (Hussaini).
In the statement, the accused said that sometime in September 2016, he agave Hussaini N80,000 to buy two cows for him, but that Hussaini did not deliver on his promise.
Ochai further quoted the accused as saying that all efforts to recover his money from Hussaini yielded no results, which made the accused to collect the collateral from him.
The accused, in the statement, said that Hussaini invited him to Mista Ali, Jos, to collect the collateral and when he arrived Mista Ali, he was handed something in a bag and told not to open it, until he arrived home.
Adamu, according to the statement, opened the bag at home and discovered a foreign made pistol and live ammunition in the sack, but that out of fear, he did not report to the police, nor return the items to Hussaini.
The statement further indicated that on Oct. 8, the accused person invited a lady to his house, but when she refused to sleep with him, he threatened her with the gun and raped her.
The prosecutor said that the rape victim thereafter reported the matter to the police station and a search was conducted in the accused home and the firearms recovered.
Ochai said that the offense contravened the provision of Section 27 (1) of the Firearms Act, CAP F28, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
He further stated that the said Hussaini had been arrested and was standing trial for illegal dealings in arms and live ammunition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man Sentenced To 1 Year Imprisonment For Breaching Official Trust

Justice A Wuse Zone 2 Magistrates’ Court, Abuja on Tuesday, sentenced a 33-year-old civil servant, Aminu Maru, to one year imprison  for breach of official trust. The convict, who resides in Janyan house, opposite Gwagwalada Park, Area 1, Abuja,however, pleaded guilty to the one count charge of breach of official trust.and begged for mercy. The Magistrate, Mr Raphael Egbe, in his judgement said the court relied on the provision of section 99 B of the penal code to sentence the convict. Egbe, who told the convict to be of good behaviour so as not to go back to crime, however, gave him an option of N100, 000. The prosecutor, Mr Jamil Hamisu, had told the court that investigations by the State Security Service (SSS) revealed that Maru committed the offence between Nov. 15 and Nov. 21, 2017. Hamisu said that the convict was an accountant attached to the office of the Accountant-General of the Federation (OAGF) but seconded to the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON)....

Again, EFCC Arrests Internet Fraudsters

                                       The Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC, has arrested three suspected internet fraudsters, at No 24, 1st Avenue, Fort Royal Estate, Airport road, Abuja. The suspects are; Marvin Nwankwo, Prince Ojenike and Jude Olatekobowale. They created a Facebook account with the following names: Rodney David; David Rodgers and Carlos David, respectively. Their arrest was based on intelligence report that the suspects turned the said residence as their office, using laptops, phone and other gadgets to defraud innocent people, including foreigners, of their hard earned money and other valuables.                           ...

Suicide bomber kills five, injures six in Borno

Borno state on map used to illustrate the story                       A male suicide bomber on Tuesday killed five members of the Civilian Joint Task Force, while six others were injured in Madarari area in Konduga council of Borno. Ibrahim Abdulkadir, Zonal Information Officer of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Borno, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN). He told NAN in Maiduguri that the incident occurred around 1:30 p.m. He said that the bomber detonated his Improvised Explosive Device (IED), at a military check point killing the victims. Bello Danbatta, the spokesperson of the Civilian JTF, said he lost four of his men including the leader of the task force in Konduga. Mr Danbatta described the loss as shocking and said that many of his members had lost their lives fighting Boko Haram. “”We evacuated the injured victims ...